What's new

Voxel Voxel's firmware for Orbi RBK50 system

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Please let me know how to donate so you can purchase an RBK50 kit (router and satellite) for development. Sells for $291 on Amazon. 10 or 11 victims of the current Netgear Orbi firmware donating $30 each shouldn't be too hard to rally or if need be 20 or 30 peeps donating $10 to $20.

Orbi's usability is getting worse and I can't stand not being able to disable and configure stuff. Shut up and take my money.

OK guys... Up to you. Let's try to get the sum for Orbi purchase. It is headache for me :) but let's try to go ahead. NG is not interested in my builds so there is no sense to expect any movements from NG...

It is possible to donate from my site:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/index.html

with comment "For Orbi development".

Regards to all,
Voxel.
Donated. Small, but I think enough people are on board we should get this pretty quick.

Last edited:
Sorry to say, but now that I have demoted my Orbi to be only an access point and re-installed my Asus AC68U router, I care much less about Orbi firmware. The Asus is a better router and the Orbi system is better at wi-fi, so I consider this the best setup for my home.

Sorry to say, but now that I have demoted my Orbi to be only an access point and re-installed my Asus AC68U router, I care much less about Orbi firmware. The Asus is a better router and the Orbi system is better at wi-fi, so I consider this the best setup for my home.

Certainly don't disagree with your assessment of your routers, but what does that have to do with having better firmware for your Orbi? Even though it's "only an access point", it's still on your local network and should be as secure and functional as it can be made to be.

I guess maybe I am. Are we getting closer to funding?
Yeah, we are closer and closer... If I am not mistaken 10 percents :) vladlenas, am I right?

P.S.

Well, guys, I am ready to make refunds to these 3-4 guys who are so optimistic. Or please push the owners of Orbi somehow in NG official forum. Really, maybe my offer has no sense already?

Voxel.

Last edited:
Yeah, we are closer and closer... If I am not mistaken 10 percents :) vladlenas, am I right?

P.S.

Well, guys, I am ready to make refunds to these 3-4 guys who are so optimistic. Or please push the owners of Orbi somehow in NG official forum. Really, maybe my offer has no sense already?

Voxel.

Did we get you to an Orbi? I'm about to purchase one myself.

Nothing is changed. People are not interested in my build for Orbi. Total USD25 (or USD23.10 with PP commission).

Voxel.
Hi Voxel,

I am interested in this project! How far are we with the donation? RBK50 has promising hardware. It is a shame that it doesn't support vlan (I know none of netgear home products support vlan ). I should have gone with Unifi AP. It is too late now. Hope it is not too late to push this project forward.

Hi Voxel,

I am interested in this project! How far are we with the donation? RBK50 has promising hardware. It is a shame that it doesn't support vlan (I know none of netgear home products support vlan ). I should have gone with Unifi AP. It is too late now. Hope it is not too late to push this project forward.

Hi,

Thanks for your interest. As far as I remember currently total sum is about $35.

There is a guy who is ready to donate too. And there was another guy who intended to donate but he disappeared.

To say true I do not see significant interest to this. So I am not sure now that I have to start with. More than year passed.

Voxel.

Hi,

Thanks for your interest. As far as I remember currently total sum is about $35.

There is a guy who is ready to donate too. And there was another guy who intended to donate but he disappeared.

To say true I do not see significant interest to this. So I am not sure now that I have to start with. More than year passed.

Voxel.

You're probably right. There is no significant interest.
However, if you are to proceed this project, is there a list of features that you may implement?
Do you code from the ground up or use the existing stock firmware source code?
Would you be interested in features such as mapping mutli-SSID to vLan?

You're probably right. There is no significant interest.
However, if you are to proceed this project, is there a list of features that you may implement?
Do you code from the ground up or use the existing stock firmware source code?
Would you be interested in features such as mapping mutli-SSID to vLan?

Step-by-step. First: compilation of latest codes as is using optimized for CPU compiler and options. Second, upgrade obsolete packages and include some add-ons such as e.g. SSH. Rest is rest.

Voxel.

I want to buy a AC3000, but i don't like that i have to pay for the parental control, if you add the parental control (time schedule) i would be able to pay about 50$, i don't know how much you need to get that started ?

Am interested in Voxel RBK50 firmware if it can happen.

Well I presume one Voxel gets enough money to purchase an Orbi system, Orbi users will enjoy his work. There are many users who could benefit from his work.
I'm interested (RBK50) and I would donate.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!