What's new

VPN client on RT-AC68U wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

juancho

New Around Here
I bought two routers last month, one from Gl.inet and an Asus RT-AC68U.
I see it is impossible to use my RT-AC68U router as a VPN client in router mode.
I want to connect my Asus router to my home router wirelessly and still be able to use OpenVPN or Wireguard, just like the little gl.inet router does.

I would like to know if there is any compatible firmware that allows me to use one of the wireless bands (2.4 or 5GHz) as a Wireless WAN Client, in the stock firmware it is impossible.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums @juancho.

With stock firmware, is not possible.

Maybe there's a third-party firmware you can find (WRT? Tomato?), but this isn't a feature (WISP) of Asus routers.

FT (FreshTomato) and DD-WRT support client mode (aka, WISP (wireless ISP) mode). FT does has a history of problems w/ client mode on some routers, but I've used both firmwares w/ that router specifically w/o issues. Of the two, I prefer FT in most cases, although each offers unique features that can make either a good choice depending on your needs.

Last edited:
I know you said you wanted to do this wirelessly but have you considered using either powerline or MOCA adapters to connect your AC68 to your primary router and then double NATing behind the first router?

Just for completeness, and in case it's NOT obvious, *any* wired device can be made wireless w/ a wireless ethernet bridge (standalone versions are available on Amazon and eBay), even a device that pre-dates its invention! It's just more practical and convenient when the device can configure one of its own radios for such purposes. But it doesn't have to be a showstopper if it can't, esp. if you'd prefer to continue using something like ASUS stock/Merlin for your primary router.

Actually the GL-AR750S does a very good job connecting to another wireless router using WiFi and running a VPN client using WireGuard. Speeds I get using a VPN client on this router are very similar to what I can get on an AC1900P running an OpenVPN client.

It is designed to be used as a travel router but for situations where you need a WAN connection using WiFi it is handy piece of kit.

FT (FreshTomato) and DD-WRT support client mode (aka, WISP (wireless ISP) mode). FT does has a history of problems w/ client mode on some routers, but I've used both firmwares w/ that router specifically w/o issues. Of the two, I prefer FT in most cases, although each offers unique features that can make either a good choice depending on your needs.

Thanks for the answer, I've been slow to give feedback because I was on vacation :)

It really gives me hope to see that both firmwares did well for you on the ac86u 2900.
I'm trying to find the right version of tomato but this router doesn't show up on either the DD-WRT or Fresh tomato compatibility lists.
Can you tell me which version did you use?

Thanks for the answer, I've been slow to give feedback because I was on vacation :)

It really gives me hope to see that both firmwares did well for you on the ac86u 2900.
I'm trying to find the right version of tomato but this router doesn't show up on either the DD-WRT or Fresh tomato compatibility lists.
Can you tell me which version did you use?
Where did he say he did use it on an 86u or 2900 (two different routers)?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!