What's new

VPN for a single device?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zecax

New Around Here
I'd like to route my Amazon Fire stick through a US server, to bypass geographical restrictions (I'm in Europe).

But I only want this to happen to this single device.

From what I've read on PIA's webpage, one solution would be to install a router with the PIA settings and create a wireless network which only the Fire stick would connect to.

But my router WRT1900ACS (stock firmware) has an OpenVPN server feature. Would it be possible to have the router forward a single device (filtered via MAC or fixed IP) to the VPN without changing anything for all other devices?

You need a router and or firmware that supports/runs a VPN Client not a VPN server.

You will have to flash your router with DD-WRT or Tomato if either is available for your router which will then enable you to run a VPN client.

I'd like to route my Amazon Fire stick through a US server, to bypass geographical restrictions (I'm in Europe).

But I only want this to happen to this single device.

You could install IPVanish or NordVPN on the Fire stick.

Sent using Tapatalk

You will have to flash your router with DD-WRT or Tomato if either is available for your router which will then enable you to run a VPN client
...or Merlin firmware on an Asus router. (Yes I know you have a Linksys router, but if you are looking at getting a new router, or have one that you aren't using...)

If have 2 VPN clients configured on my Asus router. You can use ip addresses to determine if the VPN will be used or not.

You could install OpenWRT on the Linksys router (assuming the 1900ACS has the same support as the 1900AC), and manually configure the Linux RPDB to route only the Fire Stick traffic through the tunnel. That will require some Linux know-how.

Great suggestions and insights.

Installing a separate router outside my home network and directly connected to the ISP seems like the best option.
That way it doesn't rely on Amazon fw updates which may disable 3rd party apps/settings (I don't want to jailbreak the Fire stick, I only use it connect to my prime video subscription).
Also, it has the advantage of creating an always on geo-relocated wifi connection which could be used by other devices occasionally.

Now comes the next step of flashing tomato or DD-WRT onto the Sagem f@ast 2604. Hope it works well.

Thanks for your help.

bad news. I can't flash the sagem with DD-WRT.
I have a Netgear WNR3500 v1 doing nothing, but it's not compatible with 3rd party fw like DD-WRT.
Is there any chance that I can run OpenVPN on netgear's stock firmware?