What's new

WAN/3G backup for always ON setup on N16

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tron05

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

i have been using a Aus RT- N16 for a couple of years... Have been on stock, then on Tomato and then back to Asus, when they added the Download master.

I have very minimum requirement to have always ON internet even when the WAN connection is out by setting up a 3G data card as backup. This is to support my Worrk from Home.

I am currently using Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.372_1393

In the ASUS firmware, 3G data card can be activated in backup mode, i.e when the WAN is disconnected, router falls back to 3G data card. I have not been able to get it working to satiffaction

1. How does the router identify that the WAN is disconnected? At times, i have link to the local server of the ISP, but not to internet. Can the router identify this and shift to 3G?

2. After falling back to 3G, Asus does not change back to WAN, when its available.

3. Download master - when running on backup mode(i.e 3G data card). Downloads should be restricted(cant afford so much data at high price)

4. Does Asus-Merlin frmware address any of these issues?

Would be grateful, if anyone would help me with my setup.

Thanx in advance.

None of this will be different with my firmware versus the original firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!