What's new

WAN capped at 100mb help please! asus 87u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Beefcat,

The minimal and manual configuration of a router is the M&M Config with a few known good defaults, to begin with.

See the last two paragraphs in the link below for that link to the guide.

While I am not saying this is your issue, a 2.4 GHz WiFi signal can inject noise into a CAT 6 or less cable. I myself just had to install two CAT 7 cables to replace old CAT 6 for that reason. CAT 7 has better shielding. Since you only have two Ethernet cables connected to router, I would replace both.

Yes, you can test the cables but it would be far cheaper to get two CAT 7 cables than to rent the necessary test equipment to validate your current cables. My two 1 meter (three feet) CAT 7 cables cost me $14 from Amazon US.

Again, referring to the error posted on the router, with two CAT 7 cables installed, router reloaded, and the problem still existing, I would try another computer or tablet in place of the current computer. Any Ethernet interface on any device can have hardware/firmware/OS challenges that may cause problems when connected to a specific device, router in your case, and not other devices.

Sure, you could upgrade to a newer router technology but unless you are 100% certain that your current router is the issue, you could have similar or other issues with the new router.
@ApexRon and @ColinTaylor,

Thank you for the information.

Sorry for only replying now. Took me a while to get CAT7 cables. I have 2 and test them.

Well, let me just say, both CAT7 and CAT 6 cables work. CAT 7 does not make a difference !. I know you probably scratching heads, or maybe it is NOT a surprise.

So, what did work !

In the end what work is to disable everything, I Mean fricken everything:
  1. AiProtection, but also make sure the individuals section is disabled (Malicious sites blocking, Two-Way IPS and Parental controls)
  2. Adaptive QoS : Meaning (bandwidth monitor and make sure enable QoS off set to OFF)
  3. Traffic Analyser (Statistics is Off).
I feel I can burn my office, literally :confused::D

Reason for getting this Router is the protection I have, and ability to keep hands on. Over the last 2 years I must say I feel very safe with household of 7 adults and some working from home. From time to time 6 of us may be working from home.

Basically what Asus is saying, if you want Gigs Speed, throw out the protection, adaptive QoS + Traffic Analyser - right ?

See here : https://routerguide.net/nat-acceleration-on-or-off/

@ColinTaylor and @ApexRon and many other gurus, how safe I'm I now ? or is there some minimal setting I can still use and have Gigs speed.

I'm hoping there is a silver line in the dark cloud and some common middle ground advise you may be able to offer me w.r.t these settings ?

Here is some results, picture etc...

IMG_7026.jpeg

And CAT 7 running to me PC !!:

Last edited:
Basically what Asus is saying, if you want Gigs Speed, throw out the protection, adaptive QoS + Traffic Analyser - right ?
In my opinion, yes. You have to understand the design/price point for this router and that is home office and small business wherein an administrator has control of all devices. You will need to advise the other users of your internet connection that all non-business related data traffic (movies/games) is prohibited during business hours. Bandwidth hogs will not be tolerated.

With 6+ individuals working from home what has been their experience with the internet connection and NAT acceleration on Auto and the other options off?

As a side note, I had a three week business trip to ZA back in '95 and found it to be amazing.

In my opinion, yes. You have to understand the design/price point for this router and that is home office and small business wherein an administrator has control of all devices. You will need to advise the other users of your internet connection that all non-business related data traffic (movies/games) is prohibited during business hours. Bandwidth hogs will not be tolerated.

With 6+ individuals working from home what has been their experience with the internet connection and NAT acceleration on Auto and the other options off?

As a side note, I had a three week business trip to ZA back in '95 and found it to be amazing.
Hey,

What is surprise. Good knowing that you visited this part of the world. I've been very fortunate and stay on the East side (Coast - Durban) where temperates through out year is much better than the high veld etc.. very cold in winters. I can't handle that.

Internet is growing a lot. Infrastructure to bring fibre to the home has take on huge in ZA.

Everyone at home is on wifi, accept me.

With 5G Wifi I get speeds between 400 and 500 mbps. We VPN into work and make use of teams to collaborate. The experience has been very good.

Even my TV channels make use of Fibre via Apple TV and wifi.

In terms of security, will Gig speed work turning AiProtection on or does it have to be off ?

In terms of security, will Gig speed work turning AiProtection on or does it have to be off ?
AiProtection with Trend Micro provides real-time network monitoring to detect malware, viruses, and intrusions before they can reach your PC or device. Parental Controls let you schedule times that a connected device is able to access the Internet. You can also restrict unwanted websites and apps.

From what I have read, AiProtection may slow internet speed for devices but you can try.

All my devices are portable. Consequently, each has malware and virus protection. Additionally, using NAT and firewall on router minimizes intrusion. I disabled router access from internet side as well.

Just want to say that my Asus router 88u is doing the same exact thin. I’m currently reading over solutions and this thread

Just want to say that my Asus router 88u is doing the same exact thin. I’m currently reading over solutions and this thread
  • Is it safe to assume that you are referring to your WAN Ethernet port?
    • If so, is this a new problem?
      • If a new problem, what physically changed if anything?
    • Read the label on your Ethernet cable and provide that information
    • How long is the cable?
    • What is the ISP device the router is connected to?
Cheers

• Is it safe to assume that you are referring to your WAN Ethernet port?
    • If so, is this a new problem?
      • If a new problem, what physically changed if anything?
    • Read the label on your Ethernet cable and provide that information
    • How long is the cable?
    • What is the ISP device the router is connected to?
Cheers
Im using Cat 8 cable

I got working. Could had been one of things

I rebooted my router from the admin section panel of my router and I have a XB7 xfinity modem/router that I sbridged.

I did have the ethernet in port #1on my XB7 modem but during my router reboot I moved it to port #3. All 4 ports on the XB7 modem suppose to be 1gb , maybe port #1 is not functioning right

I did have the ethernet in port #1on my XB7 modem but during my router reboot I moved it to port #3. All 4 ports on the XB7 modem suppose to be 1gb , maybe port #1 is not functioning right
In a situation like this it is alway a question of "Is it the chicken or the egg." A 1 Gig Ethernet port will not achieve and remain at 1 Gig unless there is good physical connection and successful auto-negotiations. Autonegotiation

I see your next steps as ensuring that both devices are at their latest firmware levels. Additionally, should you decide to return the connector to port #1 I would suggest that you hold the release tab and then insert and remove the connector several times in an attempt to achieve a better connection of the gold contacts.

Found this thread when googling the same problem.

My ISP can deliver 300MBit/300Mbit, but for some reason my speedtests were capped at 100MBit.
Tried everything, finally i found the culprit.

The Cat5e LAN cable from FTTH-modem to my Asus router was plugged into the LAN1-port of my modem.
Switched cable from modem LAN1 (100Mbit max) to LAN5/WAN (1000MBit max) port and now i'm getting full speed and router showing 1GBit connection on WAN port.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online