What's new

WAN MAC address random changes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Try this for an experiment...telnet/ssh to the router and enter

nvram set wan_hwaddr_x=
nvram commit
reboot

I checked and found that router's MAC has been cloned from my iMac. I cleared MAC address field in router's settings and changed MAC address credentials in my provider's personal cabinet to that of the router and it worked. I hope that have solved my problems.

I stumbled upon this issue as well. However the Spoofed 'random'Mac address (which is coming from one of your LAN devices on the nextwork) and being used on the WAN side by the Asus (Merlin 380.68_4), is causing router-modem (Comcast ISP / Motorola sb6143) communication issues. Rebooting modem, or router or both have had communication issues whereby the Router says ISP has DHCP problem. Toggling the WAN on/off from the Merlin WAN page doesn't fix it, it just sits there trying to reacquire DHCP. The random device spoofed MAC address by Merlin / Asus seems to be having a handshake / communication issue with Modem causing drops and problem re-connecting. I think it has to do with the Modem truly sensing the hardware Mac address from the router, and not accepting the spoofed communication. The only way to force the spoof to work was via a new Router ISP rediscovery procedure as if it was the first time configuring the router (click on the error message to complete step 1).

HOWEVER, the real fix I am attempting is to use the true physical router WAN MAC address manually typed and saved in the WAN MAC Address field instead of the spoofed value. THis seems to now work and lets me toggle the WAN on and off and have it properly reconnect. Fingers crossed.

Guy
gschlact

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!