What's new

Weird issue with Disney Plus

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jcwillia1

Regular Contributor
I have three wired devices in my theater closet :

1) nVidia Shield
2) XBox One
3) Apple TV

None of them can play Disney Plus right now and I have no idea why. Youtube works fine, local network playback works fine, but Disney Plus does not.

I have tried (on shield)... Force stop the app, restart the shield, wired or wireless, reinstall the app, sign out sign in, reboot router and then finally at disney's request I unplugged the shield and xbox for 5 minutes and tried again (nothing) and unplugged and plugged the att modem/router for 5 minutes (nothing, other than spending HOURS resetting up my mesh extenders)

Could it be the switch in the theater closet? but then why would youtube work?

It's unlikely to be the switch. But plug one of the devices directly into a router port to rule it out.
If you have the option of playing content in a web browser, try that.

It's unlikely to be the switch. But plug one of the devices directly into a router port to rule it out.
If you have the option of playing content in a web browser, try that.

Is there any way to force the ATT box to issue all new IPs to all my devices?

Or is that not a possible issue?

Thing is Disney plus works on Roku TVs and apple TVs in other rooms in my house.

Actually I haven’t tested my other Apple TV since this issue started.

If you changed your DNS servers for a third party, try reverting back to your ISP servers.

ok i confirmed I can watch disney plus on my apple tv 4k that is in an adjacent room but not on my apple tv 1080p (4th gen) that is in my theater closet. None of the devices in my theater closet will play disney plus.

I pulled the power on the switch to see if I can get the IPs to refresh or something. I don't think I have an ethernet cord that's long enough to stretch from the shield to my router - I can make one but that's a project for another day.

ok ran some more trouble shooting, found a coupler so I ran ethernet straight from the att box to xbox and shield, youtube good, no disney plus. so I ran the same cable from the spot where the apple tv that works plugs in and same issue, no disney plus.

I'm starting to feel like the issue is the att box itself. I can perform a hard reset but oh god the setup time involved with that...yikes - I might just call att and tell them to bring me a new box.

For Xbox check if you changed the region as it may conflict with service servers. Att boxes is yet another battlefront for users.

Got Disney plus to work on shield on WiFi.

Now the device will not reconnect to Ethernet.

This is bizarre

Edit : some dumb dumb forgot to reconnect the ethernet cable yesterday. Plugged it back in and now everything works. Shrug. We’re going to say this was Disney’s fault all along and move on.

Edit. I figured out the Xbox issue. I was using custom DNS for unlocator so that I could circumvent MLBs blackout policy. That was the root cause of the issue. Only my theater devices were encoded with the custom DNS. It all makes sense now.

Last edited:
Edit. I figured out the Xbox issue. I was using custom DNS for unlocator so that I could circumvent MLBs blackout policy. That was the root cause of the issue. Only my theater devices were encoded with the custom DNS. It all makes sense now.

Told you so. :p

This explains the Apple TV but NOT the Shield.

Double check its DNS, and double check that it isn't being forced through a VPN.

Shielddoes not give me access to DNS.

Whatever - it works now - thanks to all for time and suggestions.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!