What's new

Weird website issue - seem to be something with the router..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

-I enabled - no change
-Browsing to that url - I get anther page off the same erroneous site (see screengrab)
-Whatever DNS I have set. I can do that cloudflare or google through the adapter settings. If I leave it on auto I end up with Charter/Spectrum DNS servers - seems to be behaving correctly
-Yes its just a model - no other features just a lan port that goes into the AC-1900P
biz_site.jpg
So just as a stab in the dark, what if you disable that YouTube downloader extension? Let's just try to focus on one device to figure out how this is happening. Any AV software that purports to offer "DNS protection"?

So just as a stab in the dark, what if you disable that YouTube downloader extension? Let's just try to focus on one device to figure out how this is happening. Any AV software that purports to offer "DNS protection"?
I get the same result on multiple PC's, My LG Android Phone and my kids Apple Ipod Touch. I don't think its client related - there has to be something in the router.
I just turned the VPN on my phone - and the .biz site came up correctly.

I am about to go buy a new router.

I get the same result on multiple PC's, My LG Android Phone and my kids Apple Ipod Touch. I don't think its client related - there has to be something in the router.
I just turned the VPN on my phone - and the .biz site came up correctly.

I am about to go buy a new router.

Is your modem in bridge mode? Seems to be more then meets the eye with this issue.

Trying to wrap my head around the fact that the https site was also hijacked and what must be true in order for that to happen? Where can an HTTPS connection get MITM?

-I enabled - no change
-Browsing to that url - I get anther page off the same erroneous site (see screengrab)
-Whatever DNS I have set. I can do that cloudflare or google through the adapter settings. If I leave it on auto I end up with Charter/Spectrum DNS servers - seems to be behaving correctly
-Yes its just a model - no other features just a lan port that goes into the AC-1900P
biz_site.jpg
If you drill down into the padlock and view the cert for the https site, what are the details and what CA issued it?

My view of it:
upload_2019-10-24_13-4-46.png

I just dug out my old Linksys WRT54 running Tomato and replaced the AC-1900P

Everything is working as it should, the website is coming up correctly on my pc and over wifi on the phone. The issue is 100% with the router. Unless there is something else I can do to reset it - I am looking at buying new hardware.

Whats a good step up from an AC-1900P ?

Everything is working as it should, the website is coming up correctly on my pc and over wifi on the phone. The issue is 100% with the router. Unless there is something else I can do to reset it - I am looking at buying new hardware.

Asus RT-AC86U

Maybe you want to try reflashing using the ASUS Restoration Utility to ensure a clean firmware image. Other experts can chime in on the best way to ensure a complete wipe and fresh start.
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1030652

When you are removing the router from the equation and plugging in the PC directly or the Linksys router (both with different MAC addresses than the router), do you get a different WAN IP? Maybe this website is playing tricks based on your usual WAN IP.

When you reset it, don't forget to also check the option telling it to erase everything, which will include the JFFS partition.

upload_2019-10-24_15-48-21.png

I just spent the last hour doing firmware updates (both ASUS and Merlin) NVRAM resets and GUI based resets with power time off( Nuclear Reset). There is no change in how this router is behaving.

I just spent the last hour doing firmware updates (both ASUS and Merlin) NVRAM resets and GUI based resets with power time off( Nuclear Reset). There is no change in how this router is behaving.
Straw clutching time.... Can you clone the MAC address of your PC (or any device really) onto the router's WAN interface and then power cycle both your modem and the router. That should give you a different public IP address. (I assume you're not using IPv6?)

Straw clutching time.... Can you clone the MAC address of your PC (or any device really) onto the router's WAN interface and then power cycle both your modem and the router. That should give you a different public IP address. (I assume you're not using IPv6?)
I will pull power on the cable modem, give it a 20 minuted and it should pull a new IP.