What's new

What is proper sequence for cable modem, tv, and MOCA1000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jerryk

Regular Contributor
Does anyone know the proper way (ie spliter types, etc) to connect a cable modem, MCA1001, and a TV. I was surprised I could not find a diagram going over this case in the setup or user guide.

I don't know about "proper" method, but here's what I have, and it's been flawless for years

Cable enters home from Time Warner Cable (TWC).

Connects to bi-directional amplifier provided by TWC. Meaning it amplifies the return signal too, rather than just passing it unamplified - set top box needs this for video on demand, switched digital video, admin, etc.

Amp's output connects to a two-way splitter. One leg goes direct to the Aris cable modem/digital phone all in one, in my garage. This is TWC provided. I wanted best-possible signal for it. Cable modem's cat5 goes inside house to where the home router is. Phone wire from modem (cat3) goes to a patch that feeds the phone wiring in all the house.

Second leg of splitter above goes into a 3 way splitter. Two legs of that go to two bedroom TVs. Third leg goes to room where home router is. Here, that TV coax loops through MoCA box near router and then on to the room where the main TWC set top box/DVR is. At that place, the coax loops through the mating MoCA box and into TWC's box. The cat5 from that MoCA connects to an ethernet switch to provide a LAN connection for the TV and BlueRay player.

I could draw a picture, but I'm lazy.

Last edited:
Here are a couple splitters that I recommend:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00558UJTO/?tag=snbforums-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00556LI1E/?tag=snbforums-20

Attached is a sample diagram for reference. In the diagram coax cable is represented by solid lines while ethernet cable is represented by dashed lines.

In this scenario, the home theater PC (HTPC) is used to record TV from cable, while the Xbox is used as a media extender to view the recorded shows. The HTPC could be any other TV or DVR device. You don't have to use the ethernet connection coming from the MOCA device on the device connected to the COAX OUT connection.

Also, it would probably be better to *not* have the cable modem attached to the RF out connector of the MOCA device. It would be more ideal for the cable modem to have it's own line from the service drop. If it's not possible to have two runs of coax to the cable modem's location, then you can use the diagram above as a direct reference.

If the TV, MOCA device, and cable modem are in the same room, then it would be best to use a splitter at the drop point. You can use a two-way splitter, and have the MOCA and then the TV on one leg, and the cable modem on the other leg. Otherwise, use a three or four-way splitter.

If you can give the details of your current setup and your goals, I can help further.

Attachments

• LANdiag.jpg
    LANdiag.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 382