What's new

What is the best way to wire my network to help with intermittent internet drop.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

setroc6

New Around Here
So I have Spectrum internet and the internet drops quite a lot. The way it is wired is there is one cable coming down from the power line. from there is a 3-way splitter. One port goes to my internet only modem, another to cable tv, and the third to another internet-only modem for the guest house int the back. My internet is the one that has the longest cable and seems to be the one with the most internet drops. So I read this can be alleviated by installing an amplifier with active return. What is a good amplifier that works well with spectrum internet? I seem to be lost when choosing one because some have positive dB and others have negative dB and it also varies on the forward and on the return lines. Should I get an amplifier with one port and still use a splitter or just get one with the splitter integrates?

So I have Spectrum internet and the internet drops quite a lot. The way it is wired is there is one cable coming down from the power line. from there is a 3-way splitter. One port goes to my internet only modem, another to cable tv, and the third to another internet-only modem for the guest house int the back. My internet is the one that has the longest cable and seems to be the one with the most internet drops. So I read this can be alleviated by installing an amplifier with active return. What is a good amplifier that works well with spectrum internet? I seem to be lost when choosing one because some have positive dB and others have negative dB and it also varies on the forward and on the return lines. Should I get an amplifier with one port and still use a splitter or just get one with the splitter integrates?

I would have Spectrum confirm their service to the cable modem(s). Then you only need to connect your router.

OE

You should NOT need an amp unless you have excessive splitters. In theory, Spectrum should be able to up the gain on your line feeding that first splitter. You should be able to check the signal quality stats on your CM. If you have bad signal, an amp just makes it a louder bad signal. An amp only helps if you have weak signal over a long run or through multiple splitters.

You should NOT need an amp unless you have excessive splitters. In theory, Spectrum should be able to up the gain on your line feeding that first splitter. You should be able to check the signal quality stats on your CM. If you have bad signal, an amp just makes it a louder bad signal. An amp only helps if you have weak signal over a long run or through multiple splitters.

What is a good splitter? The one I got is Extreme Broadband engineering BDS103H 5-1002 MHz / EMI -130db. it is unbalanced as 2 outputs have -7dB and one has -3.5dB. Is this not a proper splitter for this? I remember I just bought a random one from amazon.

The splitter you have is typical of what most splitters are. Would not work or at least be ideal if you ever want to try MOCA.

In your case I would be sure your modem is connected to the leg with just the 3.5dB loss.

The splitter you have is typical of what most splitters are. Would not work or at least be ideal if you ever want to try MOCA.

In your case I would be sure your modem is connected to the leg with just the 3.5dB loss.
Yes I switched it to the 3.5dB leg the other day. Then maybe something in the router causing the problem. I am running Asus Merlin so I will check for any updated firmware, reset everything and start from scratch.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!