What's new

What is this "wan0_xipaddr", and why is it showing up in the GUI?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smasher

Regular Contributor
Router: ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U 384.15_0

My ISP has me double-NATed, so I've got both an internal IP address and a public IP address.

I can see my internal IP address with:
Code:
nvram get wan0_ipaddr

I can see my public IP address with:
Code:
nvram get wan0_realip_ip

But, when I check the "Internet status" via the router's GUI, I see the correct internal IP address and an address below it that is not my public IP address, 169.254.xx.xx.

That 169.254.36.118 address can also be found with:
Code:
nvram get wan0_xipaddr

Questions: What is the wan0_xipaddr, and why is it displayed in the GUI where I'd expect to see wan0_realip_ip?

This may or may not be related to the GUI perpetually showing "Lease time = Renewing...", and, "Lease expires = Expired", even though I'm connected and online.

You are using PPPoE so the 169.254.xx.xx address is the local connection to the modem. That's normal. It can be disabled at WAN > Internet Connection > Special Requirement from ISP > Enable VPN + DHCP Connection.

The 100.64. address would normally be your "public" (WAN) IP address, although in this case it is actually a CGNAT address.

Last edited: