What's new

What setting should I have on for the OFDMA/802.ax MU-MIMO? Should I disable Universal Beamforming?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jusjohn55

Regular Contributor
I am currently running Asuswrt Merlin 384.19 on the AX88U. This router has this thing called OFDMA/802ax MU MIMO and that gives me the option of DL OFDMA, DL/UL, and DL/UL + MU MIMO. Which one should I use? Also, this router has ax/ac beamforming so is it best that I disable Universal Beamforming?

If you have no AX devices, I would disable any OFDMA options to prevent device incompatibility problems.
If you have more than one AX device, I would enavble OFDMA DL/UL+MU-MIMO. My testing has shown, however, that OFDMA does not provide consistent throughput improvements and can even reduce throughput in some cases.

this setting applies to 5GHz only, right?

I think there are the same settings for both bands.

If you have no AX devices, I would disable any OFDMA options to prevent device incompatibility problems.
If you have more than one AX device, I would enavble OFDMA DL/UL+MU-MIMO. My testing has shown, however, that OFDMA does not provide consistent throughput improvements and can even reduce throughput in some cases.
What cases reduced throughput?

@thiggins So, if I enable DL/UL OFDMA + MU MIMO do I disable the "Multi User Mimo" in the settings?

confused by your question. doesn't the mu in mu mimo mean "multi user mimo"?

You don't need to disable anything unless you are experiencing problems imo. leave it running for a while, test speeds and stability. I had a couple ax devices with an ax58u and couldn't tell when it was on or off besides the little 6 next to the wifi icon on my galaxy s20. You probably won't even notice the difference.

@thiggins So, if I enable DL/UL OFDMA + MU MIMO do I disable the "Multi User Mimo" in the settings?
If there is a separate MU-MIMO setting in 5 GHz, you can leave it enabled. But if you have disconnect problems, disable it.

What cases reduced throughput?
Inefficient use of bandwidth.

A Wi-Fi device on a channel shares the same bandwidth with all devices on that channel. The device first checks to see if the channel is available. If the channel is not being used, the device then becomes the only device using the channel. If the device uses older technology (802.11a/b/g/n), or is farther away from the router/AP and has a lower signal level, it will take longer to transmit its data payload. This causes other devices to wait longer, so reduces overall throughput.

Always.

So, should I disable Universal Beamforming?
I don't think it matters. This is an old method that supposedly can beamform without client participation. It probably doesn't hurt, but doesn't help either.
If you are having problems with random device disconnects you can try disabling it.

Have thoughts about OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO changed since the last posting? I see it on my AX88U. It's disabled on my 2.4Ghz band and set to DL OFDMA only on my 5Ghz band. To be honest, I have no idea if it's doing anything. I have a RT-AX88U (main) and a RT-AC5300 setup in AiMesh mode and everything is fine tuned to perfection from my tests. It's just this new setting I'm not sure about and my OCD won't let it go until I know I've exhausted all research :)

Thanks to all in advance for any insight.

Those features only work with Wi-Fi 6 and 6E devices. You need a LOT of them to see any significant effect for OFDMA and at least two for MU-MIMO. I doubt you will see much/any difference if you disabled them.

Reactions: #TY
New to the AX86U. Not new to wireless/routers/etc. I tested the settings yesterday. I have 3 AX clients. For me its faster, and just a teeny bit, if I disabled the setting in both channels.

Same with beamforming options too. Off is fastest and wifi clients connection very stable. I'm getting 2.1 with an Intel AX210.

Last edited:
Those features only work with Wi-Fi 6 and 6E devices. You need a LOT of them to see any significant effect for OFDMA and at least two for MU-MIMO. I doubt you will see much/any difference if you disabled them.
Thanks for that. I've disabled them on both 2.4 and 5GHz.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!