What's new

What VPN do you suggest?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stardust

Regular Contributor
Hey all.

Soon I need to renew/change VPN provider.
For now I have NordVPN.

I will like one that offer the best possible mix of security, speed, privacy, options of VPN types (OpenVPN and Wireguard primary).
Shall be functional on the router, that works best for me.
I don't mind pay for 2 - 3 years for decent monthly payment.

Regards

John

I've been using Nord for years and when I was last up for renewal tested a few different providers and Nord still for best for speed and cost.

I run a custom diy setup and it was the only one that would connect automatically upon reboot. The others had quirks that require compromises to make them work. They also didn't have the same level of speed.

I just rebuilt things for more than just networking as I run multiple things on the same box to simplify management.

I started this setup years ago at this point to roll in several devices / functions when I got sick of consumer gear and the issues that come with it. Namely the lack of performance and bad firmware updates / security risks. For a pure router though this is complete overkill but, taking the basics and scaling down to that specific use is possible. The basic setup only requires a SFF PC / dual/quad port NIC and an AP for WIFI.

Using a vanilla OS like Ubuntu provides wide HW compatibility and more options for configuring tings but, you can go with something more tuned for router use that's GUI based. The issue with some of the options is the OS will not work with some HW where it does work with others.

Code:
sudo inxi -F
System:
  Host: server Kernel: 6.6.0-060600rc2-generic arch: x86_64 bits: 64 Console: pty pts/12
    Distro: Ubuntu 23.04 (Lunar Lobster)
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: ASRock product: X670E PG Lightning v: N/A serial: N/A
  Mobo: ASRock model: X670E PG Lightning serial:  UEFI: American Megatrends LLC.
    v: 1.29.AS01 date: 08/07/2023
CPU:
  Info: 12-core model: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X bits: 64 type: MT MCP cache: L2: 12 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 1592 min/max: 400/5733 cores: 1: 400 2: 400 3: 400 4: 3593 5: 3593 6: 400
    7: 400 8: 400 9: 400 10: 3104 11: 400 12: 3106 13: 400 14: 400 15: 3592 16: 3593 17: 400 18: 400
    19: 400 20: 3087 21: 5438 22: 3105 23: 400 24: 400
Graphics:
  Device-1: Conexant Systems CX23887/8 PCIe Broadcast Audio and Video Decoder with 3D Comb
    driver: cx23885 v: 0.0.4
  Device-2: Conexant Systems CX23887/8 PCIe Broadcast Audio and Video Decoder with 3D Comb
    driver: cx23885 v: 0.0.4
  Device-3: AMD Raphael driver: amdgpu v: kernel
  Display: x11 server: X.org v: 1.21.1.7 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.8 driver: gpu: amdgpu
    note: X driver n/a tty: 195x47 resolution: 3840x2160
  API: OpenGL Message: GL data unavailable in console for root.
Audio:
  Device-1: Conexant Systems CX23887/8 PCIe Broadcast Audio and Video Decoder with 3D Comb
    driver: cx23885
  Device-2: Conexant Systems CX23887/8 PCIe Broadcast Audio and Video Decoder with 3D Comb
    driver: cx23885
  Device-3: AMD Rembrandt Radeon High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
  Device-4: AMD Family 17h/19h HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
  Sound API: ALSA v: k6.6.0-060600rc2-generic running: yes
  Sound Server-1: PipeWire v: 0.3.65 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE driver: r8169
  IF: enp22s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 1e:6b:1d:b6:e6:2a
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE driver: r8169
  IF: enp28s0 state: up speed: 2500 Mbps duplex: full mac: 88:c9:b3:bf:bc:6b
  Device-3: Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE driver: r8169
  IF: enp29s0 state: down mac: 88:c9:b3:bf:bc:6c
  IF-ID-1: bo0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 1e:6b:1d:b6:e6:2a
  IF-ID-2: bonding_masters state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
  IF-ID-3: br0 state: up speed: 2500 Mbps duplex: unknown mac: c2:cf:27:9e:65:ae
  IF-ID-4: nordlynx state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 15.79 TiB used: 1.13 TiB (7.2%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: KIOXIA model: KCD8XRUG15T3 size: 13.97 TiB
  ID-2: /dev/nvme1n1 vendor: PNY model: CS3030 1TB SSD size: 931.51 GiB
  ID-3: /dev/nvme2n1 vendor: Western Digital model: WDS100T1X0E-00AFY0 size: 931.51 GiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 914.78 GiB used: 17.56 GiB (1.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme2n1p2
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 1.05 GiB used: 6.1 MiB (0.6%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/nvme2n1p1
Swap:
  Alert: No swap data was found.
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 38.0 C mobo: 37.0 C gpu: amdgpu temp: 48.0 C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): fan-1: 0 fan-2: 700 fan-3: 413 fan-4: 415 fan-5: 514 fan-7: 0
Info:
  Processes: 539 Uptime: 18h 30m Memory: 30.47 GiB used: 2.69 GiB (8.8%) Init: systemd
  target: graphical (5) Shell: Sudo inxi: 3.3.25

I have done some calculations, and NordVPN are asking exactly the amount of money for 1 year renewal, as a new costumer can get 2 year VPN for...
So I have written to NordVPN, and unless they come with a fair price for an existing costumer, I start looking for a new VPN provider.

Thanks, I will consider that. I am used to Ubuntu/Linux Mint.

Nord is normally about $2/mo when you find some codes for discounts. The codes are always out there. When I renewed though I was a bit peeved due to them dropping the 3 year option.

In general though prices seem to be going up due to inflation on just about everything right now. I went to update a program I had a lifetime license on and the coder changed to a subscription based setup of 1/3 year update plan. I could just automate it in Linux but have gotten lazy and used this program for years.

So have I. Two times I had paid 99 $ for 3 years. Now they are asking for 62 DKK (Danish kroner) a month in a 1 year subscription plan. That is about 8.80 $ a month.
The total amount equals the same money as new subscribers shall pay for 2 years subscription. Go figure...

Well, if you can't find a discount code then make a new email and sign up as a new user.

Nord is always running promos though. RetailMeNot.com usually has codes and honey might have something or ebates.

I will like one that offer the best possible mix of security, speed, privacy, options of VPN types (OpenVPN and Wireguard primary)

If your idea is all-network VPN to public VPN service - remove security and privacy from the equation.

I know what most VPN services advertise, but the reality is a bit different. You are paying for proxy services. Many discussions on this subject here on SNB Forums with what you can and can't use public VPN services for. Read the pros and cons first before you invest in hardware. May save you money.

Nord works with the OPs router already

I have NordVPN account. Asus RT-AX86U to local NordVPN server on OpenVPN does about 180Mbps, not guaranteed.

Thanks for injecting your thoughts though as usual.

You're very welcome. The reply was directed to @Stardust, by the way. They can find the previous discussions interesting.

Last edited:
@Stardust, for the record, any paid-for VPN cannot offer you any security or privacy. This is a fact. Unless you only connect to their network and don't go beyond their servers, ever. And you trust them fully too, 100%.

Aside from the above, why do you need a paid-for VPN? Maybe, you don't?

Last edited:
@Tech9
What do you suggest? Adding new hardware, change VPN provider, or ?. I really like security and privacy besides a decent price
shall I forget security and privacy in any case being online? Time to learn ;)

What do you suggest?

Just use the ISP connection you already have. You don't need a public VPN provider for extra "privacy and security" in Denmark. You just transfer your online activity history to someone else and change your Internet exit point. Public VPN servers are well known and more and more services will be limited to you, will require extra user authentication or straight unavailable to you. Your Internet experience will degrade plus limited speed and added latency on top. We have threads like this every week. Folks make plans based on advertisements and promises. Public VPN providers want your money.

You can still have a public VPN account, but used for different purposes. Perhaps better to use one than connecting to public Wi-Fi, but you can also connect to your home router for free - run a VPN server there and use your home ISP when travelling. Folks use public VPNs as proxies for IP change going around regional restrictions, downloading torrents, watching adult content, etc. - things you may not want to be seen or logged by your ISP. They will still be seen and logged somewhere else. Running your entire Internet traffic through public VPN though is not needed in your country in particular.

We offer personalized services here on SNB Forums. I can meet with you in Copenhagen on Tuesday next week and explain further. :)

Last edited:
I live in North Jutland (Near Aalborg) practically the opposite end of Denmark. I will try ta VPN server on the router and maybe setup some proxy. Again leaning time, need to read how to do

Most VPN's - you're paying twice for service - just saying...

Commercial VPN's add no privacy, no security, whatever...

Best they can offer is to watch Cricket matches over in Pakistan...