What's new

What’s the best router for VPN speeds?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Believe to Achieve

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I’ve been using ASUS Merlin for quite a while and it’s awesome. I’ve currently got an 87U and it’s a great router the only issue I have with it is the speed of the VPN. I get roughly 50Mb max. I’ve read that the 86U would allow me to achieve over 200Mb on a vpn connection. Is this the best Asus router to get or is there another model that supports better speeds?

Thanks in advance.

50 mb max is not bad at all. I have the RT-AC86U and have Comcast with advertise speeds of 150/10 mpbs. I'm using PIA VPN and my Max speed is 40mb. Do you still notice lag at 50mb?

I'm using AX88U with a Torguard VPN and I get 45 on Netflix download test. I live in Canada and have a USA IP with Cloudflare for DNS. This is their test not mine. Results vary from test site to test site. I have 256 encryption. This is plenty enough to stream GEO blocked content at 4K rates. Just saying! Is speed what you are after of is it just great performance? Sometimes getting a grade on the latter is difficult. ;):)

Hi everyone,

I’ve been using ASUS Merlin for quite a while and it’s awesome. I’ve currently got an 87U and it’s a great router the only issue I have with it is the speed of the VPN. I get roughly 50Mb max. I’ve read that the 86U would allow me to achieve over 200Mb on a vpn connection. Is this the best Asus router to get or is there another model that supports better speeds?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about the 'over 200Mbps' part. ;)

The RT-AC86U and the RT-AX88U will give the best VPN speeds for currently available routers (the 'AX88U with a quad-core and twice the RAM will be able to support more than one VPN much easier). Depending on the options used (and allowed by the VPN provider, of course).

The actually achieved speeds will depend on external factors, your ISP limits, the connecting end's limits, the VPN server you choose, etc.

Right now, your router is limiting your VPN performance. Because you're hitting the hardware limit, we can't tell if better hardware will allow you to have significantly better performance.

Can you test your VPN using it only on a desktop or laptop computer (your most powerful one)? That will give you an idea of how much a newer router will possibly help. ;)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/vpn-failover-script.55635/page-2#post-479894

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/vpn-failover-script.55635/page-2#post-479933

L&LD is right on. Yes, the 86 CAN give you speeds of 200Mb+ with a VPN, but it cannot do speeds faster than your slowest link provides. Do the test on your PC (without router). If you get significantly more than the 50Mbs you are getting now than the 86 WILL do better.

speed of the VPN. I get roughly 50Mb max

i would do a test p2p'ing ubuntu clients (very fast seeded files)
before blaming the router. more often than not the vpn outlet
is capping you at 100, or the files are not well seeded/hosted.
obviously the vpn outlet city/country & distance will matter.

i regularly get 100 while our asus router cpu is about the same.

50 mb max is not bad at all. I have the RT-AC86U and have Comcast with advertise speeds of 150/10 mpbs. I'm using PIA VPN and my Max speed is 40mb. Do you still notice lag at 50mb?
I have Comcast 150/10 and with my AC86 to most nearby servers using PIA I get 169/11 consistently.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!