What's new

What's the latest on QoS in 386.2?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Authority

I have a RT-AC68 at my parents place running 386.2. The have a 30/4 cable connection with two TV's running 24/7 (like old people do) and use a remarkable amount of data (1.5Tb/month). Their connection seems perfectly sized for them and they have no issues. They probably don't need QoS, but the geek in me can't resist trying to squeeze every bit of performance out of everything.

I'm a little fuzzy on the current/planned status of QoS in 368.2. What works, what doesn't work, what will never work, what's coming, and what are the "best practices"? Everyone seems to love Cake QoS but I don't think it works on the RT-AC68? Are there any add-on QoS options I should check out?

Thanks in advance.

while there's plenty of life left in the good ol' AC68, best be prepared for it to either give up the ghost or have demands placed on it which it won't be able to meet.
(I'm in a similar situation - my 17yr old niece moved in with my 70yr old folks, and if her younger sister follows along, I'm not sure their AC86 will handle the demand of the kids and their multiple devices on top of my parents, lol...and gramps can't say no to his girls)
that said, there's FlexQoS for the ac68, but you'll need to install entware through diversion in AMTM and then get Flex happening for your folks. If you choose to upgrade hardware, you will be doing everyone a favour and keeping a small bit ahead of the curve...or you can wait for the 68 to hit MTBF and buy what's new then, which might be wifi6e routers...but MerlinCake becomes an option only with hardware upgrade.

What other devices do your parents have that use the internet? If it's literally only those two Tivo's then messing about with QoS is pointless.

I have a RT-AC68 at my parents place running 386.2. The have a 30/4 cable connection with two TV's running 24/7 (like old people do) and use a remarkable amount of data (1.5Tb/month). Their connection seems perfectly sized for them and they have no issues. They probably don't need QoS, but the geek in me can't resist trying to squeeze every bit of performance out of everything.

I'm a little fuzzy on the current/planned status of QoS in 368.2. What works, what doesn't work, what will never work, what's coming, and what are the "best practices"? Everyone seems to love Cake QoS but I don't think it works on the RT-AC68? Are there any add-on QoS options I should check out?

Thanks in advance.
Beta Merlin 386.2 right? is the 386.2 exited Beta already?

while there's plenty of life left in the good ol' AC68, best be prepared for it to either give up the ghost or have demands placed on it which it won't be able to meet.
Huh? What demand on a 30/4 connection could the AC68 possibly not meet?

If I were to replace it, which I’m not, I’d go with an Edgerouter X and a couple access points. Wouldn’t even consider a consumer router.

Thanks in advance.
The 4 up is the natural choke-hold / QOS. Upgrade to something like 60/30 minimum.

The 4 up is the natural choke-hold / QOS. Upgrade to something like 60/30 minimum.

Um that wasn’t my question. Did you even read it?

Thespeeds are fine. No upgrade needed.

The equipment is fine. No upgrade needed.

The only thing I asked about is the status and best practices of QoS in ASUS Merlin and. Not one person has answered the actual question.

I might as well be on Reddit. ‍♂️

Last edited:
If you decide to use Adaptive QoS, there are still some annoying flaws from Trend Micro that I would strongly urge you (them?) to use FlexQoS as well, even if you don’t choose to customize any rules.

If you decide to use Adaptive QoS, there are still some annoying flaws from Trend Micro that I would strongly urge you (them?) to use FlexQoS as well, even if you don’t choose to customize any rules.
Thanks is that an add on? How do I get it? What’s the deal with Cake is it too CPU intensive for the AC68?

Thanks is that an add on? How do I get it? What’s the deal with Cake is it too CPU intensive for the AC68?
"This is only available on HND models (RT-AC86U or newer)" on Cake, quoting Merlin from post 1 of the 386.2 beta thread.

Run amtm from the SSH command prompt and use option i to install a script, then choose option 3 FlexQoS.

The Linux version of the AC68U is too old to support the requirements of Cake.

Run amtm from the SSH command prompt and use option i to install a script, then choose option 3 FlexQoS.

The Linux version of the AC68U is too old to support the requirements of Cake.
Thanks, that IS helpful. Is that likely to change?

Thanks, I did install FlexQoS (that's your baby right)? Thank you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!