What's new

When my downloads hit 3 mb/s, the speed instantly drops down to 150 kb/s

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ZomboWombo

New Around Here
I bought an RT-N66R about a month ago and it has been a dream. With my previous router, my wireless speeds on my mobile devices were 5-10 mbs. (I have a 50/10 package from Comcast). Now I get a stable 40/10 on my wireless devices. I have no problems playing games and streaming anymore. There is one problem however, I noticed when I am directly downloading something get up to 3Mb/s (which is completely fine by me) but all of a sudden the download starts slowing down and hovers at 150 kb/s max. Then I do a speed test and it says my download speed is 1 MB. I have to reset my wireless adapter on my desktop to get my normal speed again. When my downloads however around 1-2.5 MB/s there is no problem.

Here are some notes:

I have the latest merlins firmware and still the same issue. It also happen with a previous version.

This effects all my devices. For example I was downloading a game on my desktop using blizzard downloader, (same thing happened with Steam) it got up to around 2.8 mbs and then boom it slowed down to 150 Kb/s. Then I do a speed test on my laptop and it says my download speed is .78 mbs. My tablet says its download speed is .50 mbs and so on. When I stop the download and run a speed test my wireless devices get back to the normal 40 mbs download and 10 mb upload again.

So what is causing this? It it my ISP or does the router have some kind of "slow down" when the download speeds get too high.

It must be your ISP.

5MB/s download sustained for over an hour with browsing and other network use with no issues at all.

RT-N66U with RMerlin firmware 374.40.

also thought i would let you know why you are downloading at 3MB. Your speed you get from comcast is listed as mbps not MB. a mbps to mb is an 8:1 conversion ration i believe. So your comcast speed is 6.25MB down and 1.25MB up. or 50mbps down and 10mbps up.

your isp could be throttling your traffic. if you have ipv6 you could try dlding torrents with that bc i don't think ISPs can throttle that traffic currently. or don't at least.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!