What's new

AC1900 router Virgin speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HMRK

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

recently upgraded to M500 virgin package have the hub3 which is used in modem mode and then passed through to ASUS AC1900 on a speed test hardwired only getting 92Mbps when paying for 500Mbps does the ac1900 not support these speeds?

Regards

H

What happens if you turn off all the TrendMicro stuff and QOS?

Hi Andrei not sure I have seen a trend setting where is this QOS I just disabled didn't even realize this was on this has helped somewhat but still not close to 500mbps please see screen shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 12.24.48.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 12.24.48.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 37
Hi Andrei not sure I have seen a trend setting where is this QOS I just disabled didn't even realize this was on this has helped somewhat but still not close to 500mbps please see screen shot.
Trend Micro is part of the AiProtection feature. One can disable or enable AiProtection and its subfeatures in the GUI's AiProtection section. Also make sure to withdraw from any Privacy options indicated on the GUI's Administration > Privacy section. QoS settings are generally found in the Adaptive QoS section of the GUI.

When testing the broadband speed on RT-AC68U and other AC1900 series routers do not use the GUI's broadband speed test. It is well discussed that certain routers will report incorrect speed test results due to the use of a single processor core. It is better to use a Gigabit wired computer or device connected directly to the router to test the broadband speed using sites like Speedtest.net.

Trend Micro is part of the AiProtection feature. One can disable or enable AiProtection and its subfeatures in the GUI's AiProtection section. Also make sure to withdraw from any Privacy options indicated on the GUI's Administration > Privacy section. QoS settings are generally found in the Adaptive QoS section of the GUI.

When testing the broadband speed on RT-AC68U and other AC1900 series routers do not use the GUI's broadband speed test. It is well discussed that certain routers will report incorrect speed test results due to the use of a single processor core. It is better to use a Gigabit wired computer or device connected directly to the router to test the broadband speed using sites like Speedtest.net.

Thank you very much Sir

I withdrew from the privacy options and trend was already disabled when I checked I just tried using my mac and 1 gb wired connection directly from the AC1900 and got the following from speedtest.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 12.54.08.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 12.54.08.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 37
What is is exact model number of your router? What firmware version are you using?

The 230Mbps throughput is exactly what I'd expect to see if your router doesn't have hardware acceleration enabled.

What is is exact model number of your router? What firmware version are you using?

The 230Mbps throughput is exactly what I'd expect to see if your router doesn't have hardware acceleration enabled.

Hi Colin physically the Router is badged as a AC1900 dual band model but on router page shows it as a RT-AC68U I am running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware 386.9 please see image is hardware acceleration a setting I need to enable?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 13.20.02.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 13.20.02.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 28
Look at Tools - System Information > Network > HW acceleration

Also, look at LAN - Switch Control > NAT Acceleration

Hi Colin please see images

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 13.42.55.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 13.42.55.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 13.41.15.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 13.41.15.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 27
I've seen reports of this problem before. I can't remember if there's a solution or whether it's a hardware limitation of that model.

Are you using any addon scripts?

First try an "electrical reset", i.e. power off the router, wait a minute and then turn it back on again.

If that doesn't enable HW acceleration, try logging into the router with SSH and entering the following:
Code:
nvram set ctf_disable=0
nvram set ctf_disable_force=0
nvram commit
reboot

EDIT:
If that still doesn't show that HW acceleration is enabled please SSH into the router and post the output of this command:
Code:
nvram show | grep ^ctf

FYI I used an RT-AC68U with Virgin's M600 package for years without any problem as the router is capable of >900Mbps with HW acceleration enabled.

Last edited:
I've seen reports of this problem before. I can't remember if there's a solution or whether it's a hardware limitation of that model.

Are you using any addon scripts?

First try an "electrical reset", i.e. power off the router, wait a minute and then turn it back on again.

If that doesn't enable HW acceleration, try logging into the router with SSH and entering the following:
Code:
nvram set ctf_disable=0
nvram set ctf_disable_force=0
nvram commit
reboot

EDIT:
If that still doesn't show that HW acceleration is enabled please SSH into the router and post the output of this command:
Code:
nvram show | grep ^ctf

FYI I used an RT-AC68U with Virgin's M600 package for years without any problem as the router is capable of >900Mbps with HW acceleration enabled.

Thank you very much Sir that did the trick please see image

hmrk@RT-AC68U-F9A8:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep ^ctf
ctf_fa_mode=2
ctf_disable=0
size: 63768 bytes (1768 left)
ctf_disable_force=0
ctf_fa_cap=1
ctf_nonat_force=0
ctf_pt_udp=0
hmrk@RT-AC68U-F9A8:/tmp/home/root#

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 16.22.59.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 16.22.59.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 24
That's good news. So what was it that fixed the problem, the reboot or setting the nvram variables?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!