What's new

When you reach the end of the Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

idenphones

New Around Here
Sorry but I couldn't resist.

Seriously now...........If the Internet goes down, is it possible to set the router to turn the WiFi off or to set an alarm?
I was thinking of a failed automatic DNS check or similar failure to cause the router to do this.

Would the dual WAN function be able to accomplish this with nothing for the second WAN?

The main reason for this is that our Internet died last night but we had no indication as the WiFi was still strong.

With so much depending on the Internet, some sort of alarm or indication could be very handy.

Thanks

Sorry but I couldn't resist.

Seriously now...........If the Internet goes down, is it possible to set the router to turn the WiFi off or to set an alarm?
I was thinking of a failed automatic DNS check or similar failure to cause the router to do this.

Would the dual WAN function be able to accomplish this with nothing for the second WAN?

The main reason for this is that our Internet died last night but we had no indication as the WiFi was still strong.

With so much depending on the Internet, some sort of alarm or indication could be very handy.

Thanks
The indication of "no internet" would be having no internet access, I believe.

As I'm sure it does not happen that often and a script that continually checks for a working connection would be overkill.
It is doable though and with the help of the many scripts that do similar things on this forum it could be done.

we are starting to see new routers incorporating ifttt

https://ifttt.com/recipes

once that comes main stream you can have the lights flash or boil the kettle when the internet goes out lol , well within the boundries of whats possible with smart home solutions

we are starting to see new routers incorporating ifttt

https://ifttt.com/recipes

once that comes main stream you can have the lights flash or boil the kettle when the internet goes out lol , well within the boundries of whats possible with smart home solutions

IFTTT seems to be something Asus is also looking into. There's some ground work that was added to Asuswrt a few months ago.

IFTTT seems to be something Asus is also looking into. There's some ground work that was added to Asuswrt a few months ago.

might be initially related to the asus gohub , but i can see ifttt becoming part of every day life , geo fencing for instance is something that will change the way we use the internet of things

eg geo fencing is where when you move away from home your mobile lets the house know you have gone and the security system activates the lights get turned off , or coming home the air conditioner gets turned on and the security system is disabled all through the wifi

Just to expand on this a little.

If the Internet is up or down my phone for example says good signal but since the net is down I cannot check email etc. unless I turn off the WiFi on the phone and rely on my cell provider.

Now if you go to check your email you realize right away that things are not well in ISP land but if you are using Push and are patiently waiting for that hot chick to email or imessage you back or waiting for a phone call, you have no idea that someting wong...............so the Chinese guy said.

The same would be true with other silent Internet devices like thermostats, lights, VOIP equipment etc. No worky and no indication until you go to use it.

I have a cellular USB modem and I seriously thought of using it with the RT -N66 as a backup using the dual WAN as a failover.

Then I looked at the last bill I got from the cell company for streaming a short movie by mistake. Trust me, it was not too friendly. Absolute bandits here in Canada.

So...........Just having the WiFi turn itself off or some other indication or idea is what I am looking for. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW My ISP is normally good but as you know s@#t happens!

I'm currently deployed and I've run into internet outage about three times so far. I just have to wait until I can get ahold of my wife and tell her to reset the power strip that powers the internet so she has internet again. This would be gold to me. Thankfully, I'm back home in two weeks!

might be initially related to the asus gohub , but i can see ifttt becoming part of every day life , geo fencing for instance is something that will change the way we use the internet of things

eg geo fencing is where when you move away from home your mobile lets the house know you have gone and the security system activates the lights get turned off , or coming home the air conditioner gets turned on and the security system is disabled all through the wifi

Home automation is nice, but it's just not something that belongs on a gateway IMHO, whose first tasks should be providing Internet access, and protecting your LAN. That's where a device such as Google's Home hub would make sense.

A little off-topic, but we have reached the end of the Internet. The New York Times style manual was amended earlier this week to announce that henceforth, there was only the internet.

When Cablevision's Optimum is likely to go down (no TV, phone or internet), they send me an email reminding me that I can always reach them at optimum.net. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!