What's new

Where to post my question please?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SkOrPn

Occasional Visitor
[SOLVED] Where to post my question please?

EDIT: I solved my own problem by purchasing a gigabit switch and now all my devices are attached to one router port. I had forgotten about switches since its been a decade since I used one.

Hi, I need help deciding on what my next step will be and its led me here. Since my question involves seeking a device that does Internet Routing, Switching, Wireless-N maybe, Streaming Video and VoIP I have no clue where to post the question.

Monday I am losing my router and modem and gaining a single Cat6 connection from another modem in the house. My modem is dsl 1.5 service, and the "other" modem is 40/5. So, the new modem that I can connect to is a C1000A actiontec for CenturyLink. It has Wireless-N, I believe its only 2.4ghz but I can not find any data anywhere to confirm. Anyway, I also have one very nice Cat6 cable 100ft long being installed to one of the ports on the C1000A. So, I now have ONE Cat6 ethernet cable connected to the routed port on the Router which is around 75 ft away. Below is my reason for looking for information.

I have a main computer with Intel Gigabit NIC Card (No Wireless).
I have a Media Server with Intel Gigabit NIC Card (No Wireless).
I have a Panasonic BluRay/Netflix Media Player with Ethernet port (No Wireless).
I have a OBi110 VoIP box with active Google Voice service using Ethernet port (No Wireless yet again).
I have a Laptop with Wireless N (No Ethernet)
I have a Android Tablet (No Ethernet)

How do I connect all these devices to a router 75 feet away when I only have one single Cat6 eth cable going to it? How do I connect all these devices to the Internet simultaneously? The tablet and the Laptop are already connected of course but I do not know how to connect all the wired devices to the wireless or to the single cable that I will have.

I was thinking about the WES610N v2 with built in DHCP server, but I can not find it or any info on where to purchase it. Since I will be doing a bunch of streaming and voice would a switch still work? Also, I have a unused DIR-655 in my closet that is rock solid. Can it be utilized for this somehow?

Can someone tell me which thread is most appropriate for me to ask for help? Thank you very much.

Regards
Rod

Last edited:
It's not pretty but...

My first post here so apologies for lack of introduction beforehand

Just plug your router into the cat6. You're linking a gb port to a gb port. Your router will figure out a subnet and default g/w to give your DHCP clients

As long as you have no static IP's assigned to your devices it should just 'work'

It will also will have the added benefit that nothing else on the network will know you're there!

Lot's of NAT'ing going on though so you should be prepared for some sort of drop in latency

The only problem I see is with your Googlevoice thing. To be absolutely honest I have no idea what that is, but if you had to enable any port forwarding in your previous setup you are probably going to have no inbound calls (I'm figuring its like Skype perhaps?). It's not a major issue, you just might have to get some port forwarding done on your 'first' router

If this were me, I'd just plug in and see what happens!

BTW..I found lots of people selling the bridge by just googlling

Hope that helps

Tinker

Thanks bud, but I already solved my problem by purchasing a gigabit switch. I had completely forgotten about that option since its been at least a decade since I last messed with one. I even have an old Linksys switch around here hidden away in a closet somewhere haha, probably their original 10/100 but it would take me hours to find it I bet.

Anyway, I went with a Asus GX-D1081 v3 8-port and its working brilliantly (nothing to manage or setup). Thanks for the advice and the reply. Glad someone finally did..... :D

Great stuff SkOrPn

Glad you got it sorted.

I was going to recommend a switch but figured you'd also need a wireless access point and was trying to keep costs down

I stupidly forgot you can use your wireless router as one, which is really weird as that's how I have my setup here since the wireless on my linksys died

Hey ho!

Great stuff SkOrPn

Glad you got it sorted.

I was going to recommend a switch but figured you'd also need a wireless access point and was trying to keep costs down

I stupidly forgot you can use your wireless router as one, which is really weird as that's how I have my setup here since the wireless on my linksys died

Hey ho!

Yeah, I just ran a new cat6 cable (since the old cat5 was lost somewhere between the new floor and the base board flooring) to the router about 50 feet away or so. REALLY sucks that I thought the distance was further so now I have a LOT of extra from this 100ft cat6 I purchased. (I hate having extra coiled up cable as my mind tells me this might act like a choke on the signal). Wish I had a crimper but I got a cable with fancy rj45 ends and now I dont want to cut them off, lol...

Anyway, the streaming and file serving seems to be at or near full speed. Only tested the BD players Viera Cast thing and its loading at full bars. Have not tried the WD TV Live yet or the VoIP for that matter, but I will.

Thanks again