What's new

Which 1 of these USB network adapters??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Goose

New Around Here
Hi guys and girls,

After a couple of weeks of searching on the internet I came up with these 3 possible candidates.

1. WUSB600N Linksys
2. EUB9801 Senao/Engenius
3. TL-WN722NC TP-link

In my 4 year old laptop I have a intel 2200BG card which works fine at home
with a linksys WRT320N(2 floors concrete).
But, when I am on holiday in Austria I dont have a very bad reception. 2 lines only. The app building there is pretty recent, like 2 years. So the wals are probably pretty thick. The app is only 1 floor(reinforced concrete)
down so not that big a distance imho.
Therefore I am looking for a device with a better TX/RX capability.
I do not need max speed just so i can browse and watch a football game once in a while. :)
All those specs make me go crazy lately so I turn to you for some excellent advice. :)

Do I need MIMO for a better reception or can I live without it?
Do I need dualband for a better reception or.... ?

It does not need to be high-end I just want to have a steady connection.
And I only need like 5 or 6 MB. Better is always welcome. :)
I Already tried a linksys PCMIA card(B/G) but that one did not work as well.
Connection was on and off. grrrrr
I did a firmware upgrade of the 2200BG card, but have not tested it in Austria yet. Is it possible that the upgrade would make the reception better or has that nothing to do with it?

Almost forgot....the people over there have a Thomson router, do not know the type but they bought it 8 months ago.

Well....thats about it. I hope you guys can help me out here.
Thanks in advance for all the answers and tips. :)

Greetings

The owners do indeed have a N router.
The connection does not need to be very fast just stable.
I just see so many differences between all the USB adapters that I just do not know what to do anymore.
It needs to be an USB adapter with good recieve and transmit capabilities.
So, what is crap and what is good hardware? :)

Greetings

The owners do indeed have a N router.
The connection does not need to be very fast just stable.
I just see so many differences between all the USB adapters that I just do not know what to do anymore.
It needs to be an USB adapter with good recieve and transmit capabilities.
So, what is crap and what is good hardware? :)

Greetings

Get this
http://www.wirelessnetworkproducts.com/hd28386.aspx

As you know it has external rubber ducky aerial. Remember think of wireless like you would think of am, fm, cell going from A to B points. Stable yeah but might flip / flop along the way in the signal range. This USB adapter would be the best to get for now. Most in this class don't even have the external rubber ducky included. It's alway additional option.

I've had two wusb600n version 1's for a couple of years. They are just about the only one's I've found that work somewhat reliably. But, as I understand it, even the version 2 that's on the market now doesn't support Windows 7 or there are problems with the drivers for Windows 7.

I also found that I had to use the linksys utility rather than Windows Config in order to maintain that stability.

But honestly, I've been through at least half a dozen belkin, netgear, dlink and linksys and none were great.

. . . just my two cents. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!