What's new

Which do I port forward??? So confused

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flowrider

Regular Contributor
Hi all,
I hope someone can help me out here. I don't know where to put the port forward settings.
My config...

Internet > ActiontecT2200H > Asus AC68 > QNAP NAS

The internet is through Telus and they block Port 80. The Actiontec is bridged. The Asus is running Merlin.

I had the QNAP working properly and the cloud software was working but I did an update on it and it's now broken. I rolled the software back successfully but still no connectivity. I can access the NAS on my own network but no on any other outside network for some reason. I was connecting through their Cloudlink (DDNS I believe) but even the QTS connection app says that I have no web connection now.

I figure some of this is a port forward issue now.

Can anyone tell me what router am I supposed to put the port forward settings into and I'll start there.

Thanks

You have your NAS directly exposed to the Internet? Curious why? What security controls have you implemented to protect your data and your device?

Since the Actiontec is in bridged mode and only the Asus is routing...the port forward only has to be setup on the Asus. No "cloud" software should ever require an inbound connection...if it does....find a better vendor. Next I would confirm the method of connection you are using. If it is using a DNS name, do an nslookup to see what name it is and if the IP matches your public IP.

You have your NAS directly exposed to the Internet? Curious why? What security controls have you implemented to protect your data and your device?

Since the Actiontec is in bridged mode and only the Asus is routing...the port forward only has to be setup on the Asus. No "cloud" software should ever require an inbound connection...if it does....find a better vendor. Next I would confirm the method of connection you are using. If it is using a DNS name, do an nslookup to see what name it is and if the IP matches your public IP.

Thanks Michael. I'm trying to use QNAP's QSync software as a personal cloud. I have port forwarding setup on both devices right now and I can connect externally but it's super slow!
This is the speeds I'm getting right now as reported by the QSync software. I'll try wiping the settings from the Actiontec when I get home to see if it improves. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 12.35.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 12.35.14 PM.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 619