What's new

Which router to add to mesh network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elokitox

New Around Here
Hi I currently live in an apartment with very thick concrete walls, I wired up all the spaces with CAT8. I have been adding routers to each room to get wifi over time and this is my current setup using AIMESH with wired backhaul.

IMG-6237.png

I am missing only one room which is wired and is being converted to a working area, which AIMESH router should I add to my setup,

what is the difference in performance if I add a RT-AX92U vs an RT-AX89X?

Especially if it's just to cover a single room, you want amplification appropriate for the space and then only as much overlap as makes sense for your topology. In that vein, an AX58U would likely be plenty good enough, as most clients will only be 2x2 anyways and the extra receive gain on the higher-spatial stream models would be largely moot across only one room.

TL;DR - If after adding the fifth (!) router you end up with worse overall wifi behavior, you may need to lower the transmit power on some or all nodes, in order to decrease co-interference to more normal levels. Cement walls notwithstanding, rarely have I ever seen a use-case in an apartment where five all-in-ones produce completely clean airspace at default settings. Guest you must have a WWII style build in that place!

With all the money you spent on these routers you could of bought a really nice business system.

Especially if it's just to cover a single room, you want amplification appropriate for the space and then only as much overlap as makes sense for your topology. In that vein, an AX58U would likely be plenty good enough, as most clients will only be 2x2 anyways and the extra receive gain on the higher-spatial stream models would be largely moot across only one room.

TL;DR - If after adding the fifth (!) router you end up with worse overall wifi behavior, you may need to lower the transmit power on some or all nodes, in order to decrease co-interference to more normal levels. Cement walls notwithstanding, rarely have I ever seen a use-case in an apartment where five all-in-ones produce completely clean airspace at default settings. Guest you must have a WWII style build in that place!

the concrete and rebar literally doesn't allow the signal to go trough, in front of the router in one room I get 1gb in wifi , BEHIND that wall I get 2mbs, amazing but true.

regarding the ax58u its dual band, shouldn't triband be better ?

I was also thinking of adding another ax89x and eventually replace the other routers maybe two years from now and have a 10gb wired home via the cat8's or fiber.

and the extra receive gain on the higher-spatial stream models would be largely moot across only one room.

The AX58U is a 4 stream on the receive side. That is on the 5 GHz band the AX58U is a 2 TX x 4 RX

Yeah it's kinda of a strange one. But a all around decent router for the price. ;)