What's new

Why does AC88/AC3100 have higher ping than ac68/n66u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

richerob

New Around Here
Hi Rmerlin,

Just ordered an RT-AC3100 as an upgrade from my classic RT N66u and through extensive testing and firmwares notice that the AC3100 using the broadcom BCM4366 chip has higher ping latency by 1ms over any older asus routers.

This post captures the same result I'm having as well:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/side-by-side-68u-vs-3100.35994/

I believe you have the AC88u router. Do you know if this higher latency is due to hardware flaw in the bcm4366 wifi chip or is it due to bugs in firmware which can be corrected.

I'm currently running 380.65.4 on the AC3100.

Your input is much appreciated.

Rob

you do realize ping fluctuates and 1ms ping diffrence is normal?

Absolutely but with the speedtesting I have done over many hours is consistent with both my old rt-n66u and the ac3100 meaning they both consistently produce the same ping result with no deviation.

The ac3100 is exactly slower by 1ms on each server I test with n66u

This can be verified with anyone here who has an ac3100/88u and another router and then Just run a speed test and you will see consistent 1ms slower on the ac3100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that would be amazing, seeing in all the years i use speedtest to do test my ping have been either 10-12ms

you do realize ping fluctuates and 1ms ping diffrence is normal?

1ms is pretty much in the weeds with WAN connections...

As @tsunami2311 notes - It should vary a bit, time of day and all...

10 days data, pinging www.google.com

google.png

1ms is pretty much in the weeds with WAN connections...

As @tsunami2311 notes - It should vary a bit, time of day and all...

10 days data, pinging www.google.com

View attachment 9096

I totally understand what your saying with the variance in pings. When I ran my speed tests on my vdsl connection I would run them off hours doing side by side tests with a net gear r7000, my n66u, ac1900p, and my new ac3100. All
Three were identical at the time for ping except the ac3100. The ping issue is only with wifi test. When doing the same test wired they were all exactly the same.

So I figure I would ask Merlin on his feedback since he has an ac88u and if he had the same experience.

for wifi the 1ms deviation is even more of happening thing, way to many thing effect wifi signal, 1ms diffrence isnt something to worry about

I kinda agree about the 1ms being rather insignificant, but are there any differences in your wireless mode or channel bandwidth settings that could be affecting this?

I kinda agree about the 1ms being rather insignificant, but are there any differences in your wireless mode or channel bandwidth settings that could be affecting this?

I kept everything the same in terms of channel, 40mhz frequency, disabling beam forming, disable airtime fairness, and could never achieve the lower latency of the other routers.

I know it's a very small difference 1ms but just wondering why the newest more expensive ac3100 would behave like this.

I kept everything the same in terms of channel, 40mhz frequency, disabling beam forming, disable airtime fairness, and could never achieve the lower latency of the other routers.

I know it's a very small difference 1ms but just wondering why the newest more expensive ac3100 would behave like this.

To be honest, I have the same router and the only reason it isn't in the trash now is because of the Merlin firmware. If Asus designed and manufactured the router in the same careless manner that they release new firmware updates for it, that would explain a lot. I don't like to bash companies too much but you did ask. LOL!

6241044931.png

I believe achieving lower latency ping would be ISP dependent...

cable vs gigabit connection. the 2 are not in the same league speed or ping wise, I went from DSL 3mbit/756kbps, 60ms to Cable 100mbit/35mbit which recent change to (200mbit-35mbit), 10-12ms and the speed and ping comparison arnt even in same league there either. Going from Cable to gigabit would have same effect.

till recently the only time you would see 1ms connection is if local network, ( router to your computers) wired no clue about wireless I still refused to use it for anything other then tablets/smart phones/laptop non of which personal own.

To be honest, I have the same router and the only reason it isn't in the trash now is because of the Merlin firmware. If Asus designed and manufactured the router in the same careless manner that they release new firmware updates for it, that would explain a lot. I don't like to bash companies too much but you did ask. LOL!

I never used Asus firmware I went straight to merlinfw.

Last edited:
cable vs gigabit connection. the 2 are not in the same league speed or ping wise, I went from DSL 3mbit/756kbps, 60ms to Cable 100mbit/35mbit which recent change to (200mbit-35mbit), 10-12ms and the speed and ping comparison arnt even in same league there either. Going from Cable to gigabit would have same effect.

till recently the only time you would see 1ms connection is if local network, ( router to your computers) wired no clue about wireless I still refused to use it for anything other then tablets/smart phones/laptop non of which personal own.

I never used Asus firmware I went straight to merlinfw.
I think you misread or misunderstood his question. Read the first post again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!