What's new

Wifi not vissible on windows 10 after update from 386.3_2 to 386.4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BonoNL

New Around Here
Hi all,

After an enormous amount of time Googling and trying to solve this problem myself I decided to post it here.

I tried to update my Asus rt-AX68U from firmware 386.3_2 to 386.4(also tried the recent 388.1) but i am encountering this problem with the main family laptop here.
This laptop doesn't see the wifi anymore while all the other devices can still see it and connect to it.

After trying to update the laptop, resetting the router(flash it and start from scratch), en playing with the nic settings in Windows I'am out of options and decided to flash the Router back to 386.3_2.

I found one other guy on this forum with the same problem and the same NIC but no solution.

So the router is RT-AX68u and the laptop is a Windows 10 msi CR61 laptop.
The NIC is a Realtek RTL8723AE Wireless LAN b/g/n adapter.
It has the "latest"2013 driver installed.

I have no idea how to handle this problem any further besides downgrading.
How to anaylze or fix this problem, does anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance.
BonoNL

Have you gone to "Device manager" and uninstalled the NIC and rebooted, allowing the OS to re-add the drivers from scratch? You then need to enter your SSID and Password as if brand new.

Edit: Why are you not using a newer code base on the router? 386.5_2 or 386.7_2

Have you gone to "Device manager" and uninstalled the NIC and rebooted, allowing the OS to re-add the drivers from scratch? You then need to enter your SSID and Password as if brand new.

Edit: Why are you not using a newer code base on the router? 386.5_2 or 386.7_2

I will try the unistall NIC option, didn't tried that, will let you know if it worked.

About the newer firmwares, I tried 386.4 and 388.1 but it didn't helped.

I will try the unistall NIC option, didn't tried that, will let you know if it worked.

About the newer firmwares, I tried 386.4 and 388.1 but it didn't helped.
Because it's not a router issue, it's a laptop issue.

Get on a newer router code base.

Edit: And make sure the Laptop has the newest available bios and drivers.

2.4G Settings:

ASUS 2G band settings 12.26.2022.JPG
ASUS 2G Pro page 12.26.2022.JPG

I did a factory reset on the router.
Installed 388.1
Deleted the NIC in Windows.
Rebooted the laptop.
Added the NIC without result.
Then I took over the same settings as you posted, without result.

Then I tried the driver Mutzli posted, installed it throught the .exe file came with it(Despite the risks that brings) and rebooted. Still the network still isn't vissible.

Edit:
Installed native Asus firmware but it the Wifi did not showed up again.
Don't understand how this can happen, there has nothing changed on laptop side and according to the changelog there where no changes in the wifi stack.

Reverting to 3.86.3_2 solves the problem but leaves me on old firmware. Not a wise thing to do.

Last edited:
I did a factory reset on the router.
Installed 388.1
Deleted the NIC in Windows.
Rebooted the laptop.
Added the NIC without result.
Then I took over the same settings as you posted, without result.

Then I tried the driver Mutzli posted, installed it throught the .exe file came with it(Despite the risks that brings) and rebooted. Still the network still isn't vissible.
Are you wanting it to connect to a 2.4 or 5ghz network? If this is an older laptop, try to ease up on some of the settings on the router... make sure you're picking a 20mhz range for 2.4ghz, and specify a channel (don't use auto). Maybe even turn on 802.11b for backwards compatibility sake. For 5ghz, pick a middle-of-the-road common channel that it should be able to connect to.

You can run this statement on your laptop to ensure your driver is loaded correctly, and should show what it can connect to:
Code:
netsh wlan show drivers

Also, on windows, make sure your "WLAN Autoconfig" service is running, and is starting up as "Automatic".

As a last resort... try resetting your network settings in windows by going through: Network & Internet -> Status -> Network Reset ... or you could also use these commands from a windows 10 command prompt to accomplish the same (probably) :)

Code:
Type ipconfig /release ...and press Enter.
Type ipconfig /flushdns ...and press Enter.
Type ipconfig /renew ...and press Enter. (This will stall for a moment.)
Type netsh int ip reset ...and press Enter. (Don’t restart yet.)
Type netsh winsock reset ...and press Enter.
Reboot your Laptop...

Last edited:
Just get USB Wi-Fi adapter and disable the slow internal one with issues. This one works well and not expensive:

1672064641394.png

My settings work well on my old HP DV6-6130US, n based wifi nic.

Some cards are just cr*p. They die and get flaky. The suggestion by @Tech9 is the way to go forward.

If you have easy access, remove that card when the usb one arrives. Be careful to insulate the wire antenna leads so they don't cause a short. (If not disable in Device Manager)

Last edited:
No need to remove it, just disable in Device Manager. Some laptops have Wi-Fi slot or adapter on/off in BIOS settings as well. I have 2x T3Us in use and they are very stable, don't heat up too much, support AC Beamforming + MU-MIMO, do 550Mbps on USB3 port and about 200Mbps on USB2 port (limited by the port). Much better than 802.11n whatever the USB port is. Work well in both Win10 and Win11 with PnP drivers. Small physical size too.

I played around with settings like Viktor told but that didn't helped.

So I ordered one usb dongle like Tech9 advised.
It is against my principals because the laptop is still working fine and is fast enough but I want to have the router run the latest firmware.

I still cannot understand what is wrong and hope to find the solution some day.

Not worth it finding a solution for an old N adapter on 2.4GHz. It's a driver issue perhaps related with some of Win10 updates. Some laptops allow 3rd party Wi-Fi cards, but some whitelisted only. USB adapter is cheap, the one above works well. Some overheat and cut off, this one is better and tested.