What's new

Wifi problems with iPhone X when connected to 5 Ghz band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nnike

Occasional Visitor
I’m having issues with my iPhone X when connected to the 5 Ghz band on a ASUS RT-AC3200 (latest RMerlin FW). The wifi disconnects or dropping and this only happens to my iPhone X. I have 5 other iDevices at home without any problems.

I’ve reported this to Apple but just thought if anyone had some tricks to solve it. I have done all troubleshooting on the iPhone but no better results.

I had one weird instance where my iPhone X refused to connect (while I was doing many reboots for upgrading to 382.1 and factory resetting).
Completely turned the router off and left for a few seconds, turned back on and not had it since (and many reboots later).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried that...same result

Try to reset the network settings of your iPhone (from settings, that button that clears all network configs), try to hard reset it and also make sure you're on the latest firmware.
Alternatively, you could set up the 5Ghz network on a single channel (as opposed to auto) and reduce the channel width to 40Mhz in the router's configuration.
Let us know how it goes, good luck!

Try to reset the network settings of your iPhone (from settings, that button that clears all network configs), try to hard reset it and also make sure you're on the latest firmware.

Yep, esp. if one did a migration from previous iPhone, either via iTunes or iCloud - doing a reset of the network settings does clear up a lot of things...

And yes, with iPhone X, definitely should be on 11.2 (latest as of 12/10/2017) - not just bug fixes, but security fixes...

Thank for the suggestion
As always...I always run the latest software on all my devices/routers/other.

I've tested everything, but what seems to have solved it (not sure if I should call it "solved, but at least an improvement") was that I disabled the data connection (3G/4G) so that I only ran on WiFi. Tested some Speedtests apps and and enabled data connection again. Now I'm getter better WiFi connection and the speed that I'm used with; around 70-90 mbit/sec

well, my iphone x acts weird too.

I have ac88u and rp-n14 as access point, not repeater. iphone x prefers to connect rp-n14 even though it's just near AC88u and if it connects to AC88u's 5ghz band, after a while goes for 2.4 ghz.

Smart connect is enabled and SSID is same for both AC88u and RP-n14.

it seems iphone x likes 2.4 ghz more :) my older iphone 7 plus used to connect 5ghz band as long as it is reachable.

2.4Ghz signal has more strength in general, that's why.
Also, iPhones sometimes don't see all available channels in 5Ghz..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!