What's new

WiFi Repeater / Router that'll allow different subnets

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

grush

New Around Here
Looking for a WiFi Repeater / Router that'll allow different subnets (therefore its own DHCP)
Neighbor and I are sharing the wifi, so trying to find a solution for separation for shared internet.
Tried DDWRT on netgear R8000 (triband) 5G<->5G link, 2 bands for home use, but not enough throughput (50-60M on a 200M line)
Currently loving TP Link RE505X, getting 200 Mbs but its shared

You have 2 options - 1. A router with WISP like GL.iNet travel routers; 2. Two routers connected, one in Wireless Bridge mode and one in Router mode. Option 1 uses one very small and portable device, but Wi-Fi of travel routers is weak - good for single room. Option 2 will give you the best performance, but requires 2 devices. Get one used Asus AC66U router off eBay, run it in Media Bridge mode - this is how Asus calls Wireless Bridge. Connect your R8000 to it with the best firmware available for this router.

If you use the wireless bridge you will need to run it in a double NAT configuration to isolate your devices from the LAN subnet of the Internet facing router, however you will still be able to see devices on the first router's LAN. The R8000 needs to assign IPs in a different subnet.

You have 2 options - 1. A router with WISP like GL.iNet travel routers; 2. Two routers connected, one in Wireless Bridge mode and one in Router mode. Option 1 uses one very small and portable device, but Wi-Fi of travel routers is weak - good for single room. Option 2 will give you the best performance, but requires 2 devices. Get one used Asus AC66U router off eBay, run it in Media Bridge mode - this is how Asus calls Wireless Bridge. Connect your R8000 to it with the best firmware available for this router.
Thanks! I tried their bridge mode, but haven't tried media bridge - I'll try it again off amazon and if works, will get one of ebay (or amazon warehouse) thank you!

What are your thoughts on Linksys AX6000 MR9610 - its coming on sale for 150 at sams club

What are your thoughts on Linksys AX6000 MR9610 - its coming on sale for 150 at sams club

I don't know, it's a new model I've never seen. Linksys routers usually offer less firmware configuration options, but are made extremely easy to use. The Linksys App is good and allows remote access to home network settings. I never had any issues with older Linksys models and I never had a failed Linksys router. Build quality is perhaps above average. Why do you need an AX router with up to 200Mbps possible connection? Your R8000 is good enough.

Thanks! I tried their bridge mode, but haven't tried media bridge

Asuswrt doesn't have Bridge Mode. It's called Media Bridge. I would get a new $100 RT-AC66U B1 model, test it for a week or so and see how it performs in Media Bridge mode. If it doesn't work as advertised, purchased new will leave the return option available. RT-AC66U B1 router is a variant of AC68U series, perhaps the most reliable Asus routers. It's still actively supported by Asus and much better than the old AC66U MIPS router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!