What's new

WiFi repeater with FW/DHCP/different SSID? possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rrrevin

New Around Here
Excuse the question if it's been asked here before, but I can't find anything about this here or somewhere else.

I've been using asuswrt-merlinn for sometime, but can't find the settings for this any place. I've seen other devices do this (Dlink DIR-505L and other travel routers; no I'm not making this into a travel router).

Is it possible for the system to be a Wifi repeater/bridge/extender for another WiFi AP, yet still keep the firewall, DNS, DHCP all intact and use different/custom SSIDs on the repeating side?

Basically, instead of connecting to an ISP on the WAN port, I want to use another WiFi device with it's own SSID as the ISP. asus-merlin then takes that access and behaves as it normally would. I want all the same features using the WAN port, but from another WiFi device/SSID.

Does that make sense? Even possible?

What you're asking is not a repeater, it's Wifi Client mode, which is not possible with Asuswrt.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!