What's new

Wifi usb hdd slow speed on large file transfer on R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Frode Nordheim

New Around Here
Short summary: the speed of filecopy to and from USB hdd connected to Netgear R7800 drops significantly after around 7-8GB has been copied, consistently.

More details:

I get around 35 MB/s for roughly the first 7-8GB of data copied from laptop to USB hdd connected to the R7800's USB port via 5ghz wifi.

After the first 7-8GB the speed drops to around 6-7 MB/s. This happens consistently, for both a USB 2.0 hdd with external power supply and a USB 3.0 hdd, hence the problem must be with the R7800 and not the USB hdd's. If I use windows copy or ftp, the copy process will be abrupted after some time (usually around after 10 GB data copied). If i press pause, wait around 10 minutes and then continue the copy process, the copy will continue a high speed (over 20 MB/s) for some minutes, and then drop to lower speeds and eventually be abrupted if not paused again. If I use Teracopy (specialized copy program), then the copy process is not abrupted but otherwise it's the same speed problems.

To me this could seem like a overheating problem, but the R7800 is placed so that it has good ventilation.

Since my guess is that it is a overhating problem, my plan is to add a heatsink on the cpu, drill holes in the front and add fans on both the front and back to allow for better ventilation.

I have the latest firmware V1.0.2.58 installed and the OS on my laptop is Windows 10.

I would appreciate very much if you have some thoughts on this, if it could be fixed in any way?

Interesting, I never get above 12-13 MB/s with the same scenario. I'd love to see it top out at 35 but it never slows down even with large files. Going to experiment and try to force your problem to see if it happens, will report back

ok update; reads are consistent at 30-35 MB/s on a 10 gig file, writes are rock solid at 13 MB/s tried it a few times.

Different firmware versions will have different USB storage performance, e.g., I am currently onV1.0.2.60SF of the Voxel firmware, and compared to some older versions, some of the USB issues came back where for the first few hours of use, the write speeds can be in the 75+MB/s range, then after a few hours of uptime (whether I do transfers or not, the speeds slow to around the 30MB/s range with occasional spikes to around 70MB/s though it averages out to the lower 30MB/s range.

v. 1.0.2.45SF had very consistent write speeds though.

All transfers described above were done over Ethernet. The HDD connected to the router is a WD Red 4TB on a USB 3.0/eSATA dock.

Overall, it is still better than the stock Netgear firmware.

Last edited:
Update: problem solved!

The issue was weak wifi signal. I moved the router to an open spot and voila - problem solved.

Also tested maximum speed via ethernet lan cable - turned out to be around 40 mb/s for around 20GB, then slowed down to around 20 mb/s, steadily for the remaining 20 GB.

then after a few hours of uptime (whether I do transfers or not, the speeds slow to around the 30MB/s range with occasional spikes to around 70MB/s though it averages out to the lower 30MB/s range.
Usually I face it when my USB HDD is in idle state (sleeping mode). Need some time to wake up.

Voxel.