What's new

Will a new router fix my wifi issues?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cycloned

New Around Here
wifiplan.png

Hey guys, currently suffering from the following issues:
  • Poor wifi range (fixed with wifi booster)
  • Slow speeds
  • Cannot connect/DNS errors when loading webpages that are fixed by multiple refreshes
  • Massive ping spikes during gaming (partially due to a device downloading something randomly)
I have uploaded a picture of my house above. The router (D Link Wireless N 300) sits in a corner in my parent's room and the wifi works in a portion of my room as well as the living room. Unfortunately, my desk is outside this range. I also cannot get range sitting on the sofa in my living room.

I am using a wifi range extender (NETGEAR N300) in my room that creates a network which gives full range in my room and extends out a bit. The issues listed above occur mostly only on the extended network only so I'm wondering if I can buy a nice router which will give me range in the entire house. Is it reasonable to expect this kind of range from a router?

Regarding speed I have a 2 Mbps connection (partially the reason for the slow connection) but might upgrade to an 8Mbps connection later this year. Would appreciate advice from you guys, thanks.

Last edited:
You are running 802.11n which doesn’t have the range and performance of 802.11ac. You might start by upgrading your router assuming that your client devices support 802.1ac as well.

The details of your house’s construction and where you locate your access points(s) relative to each other are important as is the number and strength of neighboring WiFi networks. Good WiFi is a lot tougher in a high rise apartment building where there are lots of networks and walls are built of concrete and steel than in a wooden farmhouse in the country.

Remember that everything between the client and the wireless access point reduces signal strength including people (roughly the same as a wall) but metal and mirrors are particularly bad. For example, a bathroom or kitchen is usually worse than a bedroom or a hall.

My guess is that a single 802.11ac access point/router should do the trick especially if you can get it located more centrally (buried in the corner is about the worst possible location). However, there are a lot of factors so you won’t really know until you try.

One option is to get one of the mesh systems. You might not need a satellite but if you do, it’s a lot more effective to use it than a range extender. People seem to like the Netgear Orbi (not technically “mesh” but close enough for your purpose) but there are multiple choices that have been reviewed and discussed here.

Yes all my devices support 802.11ac - about 10 total devices comprising smartphones, laptops and an iPad.

Unfortunately the router cannot be moved as the wiring is in that corner specifically.

I checked out the Synology and Orbi routers which are top recommended and I liked both of them. I think I will try the Orbi since budget isn't a problem. Hopefully I can get good range even though I've got lots of walls and other stuff between the router and my laptop.

How do I know if my internet is compatible with an Orbi router though? For example, right now I just have this box which receives an internet wire from the wall and I connect an ethernet cable from it to my D Link router. Would the Orbi work if I connect it the same way?

The is no magic wand (router) to overcome your distance issues. :confused:
With the 5 GHz network things are even getting worse - therefore I have the two device setup for my flat!

For sure a better placement of the router (more into the mid of the room layout) could help a lot - a LAN cable is easy to hide and you pull it from the modem to the better router place - by fare cheapest solution. Of course a better Router (I would recommend Asus) would also help. ;)

For you a mesh setup could really do the trick - but need to be tested to prove it - and they are quite price at the moment. :(

The less price solution would be two pairs of PowerLine WLAN access points which you place into the two other rooms - less costly and a good solution (if your power lines are wired across all rooms) - if you select the right devices as they are quite different in performance. :D

I would move the Router and the Booster like this for best cover, and if you can set the booster in AP mode.
19554318_1501266266602761_6624133159193675197_n.jpg