What's new

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update / Network Share Discovery

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

z3r0k3wl

Occasional Visitor
I don't believe this has been posted yet or discussed but I'd like to add that with a fresh install of Windows 10 Fall Creators Update for Enterprise and Education versions SMBv1 components are not installed. Choosing the upgrade path though will retain SMB1 components if they were already installed.

Why is this important? It would seem on fresh install, my machine is unable to discover my RT-AC68U network share. SMBv2 is both enabled on the client and on the router but it doesn't resolve the issue. Anyone else run into this problem?

I don't believe this has been posted yet or discussed but I'd like to add that with a fresh install of Windows 10 Fall Creators Update for Enterprise and Education versions SMBv1 components are not installed. Choosing the upgrade path though will retain SMB1 components if they were already installed.

Why is this important? It would seem on fresh install, my machine is unable to discover my RT-AC68U network share. SMBv2 is both enabled on the client and on the router but it doesn't resolve the issue. Anyone else run into this problem?
If you mean on the "network" area, this is a SMBv1 feature I believe. If you manually specify the SMB path in explorer (e.g. \\RT-AC86U\SHARENAME) are you able to access?

If you mean on the "network" area, this is a SMBv1 feature I believe. If you manually specify the SMB path in explorer (e.g. \\RT-AC86U\SHARENAME) are you able to access?

Browsing to it via UNC path does not work.

Yes this was discussed a few months ago when Microsoft first announced it.

Browsing to it via UNC path does not work.
"Browsing" won't work as Jack said, but typing in the UNC directly ought to. :confused: There was a lot of discussion of SMBv2 here, some of it might be useful to you.

Last edited:

Now if they would only do this for all version...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!