What's new

Windows 7 and VPN. Newbie Help needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rincewindwiz

New Around Here
Newbie problem here trying to set up an VPN.

Current test setup is

Win7A ->Wifi -> BT FON router-> internet-> my router -> Win7B
IE reports the public IP address of Win7A as 188.222.xxx.xxx (it was previously behind the same router as Win7B)
IE reports the public IP address of Win7B as 188.222.xxx.xxx

I have created the server VPN on Win7B (All network components except IPv6)
my router has the VPN port assigned to the correct PC (192.168.y.yyy)
and Win7B Network Connections) reports 1 client connected
It also reports the user I logged in under as connected.

I have created the client VPN on Win7A and Network and sharing centre reports it connected to VPN (Work network)

All of this sounds good except now what?! I am expecting to map a network drive to the relevant share on Win7B and away I go but I seem to be unable to map a drive to a shared folder.
I know Win7 has shared folders because I can access them from another PC connected to the Win7B network.
I've stopped both firewalls but that makes no difference

So how do I set up this share?
Why can I not see any shares when I type in the IP address (192.168.1.66) to the start box or explorer
When I try 'browse' in map a network drive - it sits there for a long time and then gives me the local drive shares. and nothing under the Network heading
Network diagnostics report network seems setup correctly but Win7B is not responding

Baffled - as usual with MS issues!!
All help gratefully received