What's new

WireGuard - Split Tunnelling - How to Configure?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KonoSuba

New Around Here
I am using the official WireGuard Windows application v0.5.3 and am trying to achieve what I believe is called 'split tunnelling'.

I have created two VPN tunnels in the WireGuard software:

- Streaming IP tunnel

- Shared IP tunnel

I would like to have all internet traffic going through the Steaming IP tunnel, EXCEPT for one application, which I would like to go through the Shared IP tunnel instead.

The application has a built-in network interface binding feature, which allows me to specify the Shared IP tunnel as the interface to connect through.

However a problem arises when having both tunnels active simultaneously - I loose internet connectivity until one of the two tunnels is disconnected / deactivated.

I believe this has something to do with IP routing conflict, and could be fixed by making certain changes to the two tunnels' WireGuard configuration files.

However I lack the technical understanding to make the necessary changes.

So to summarise, can someone please explain how, when I have both tunnels connected, I can have all internet traffic going through the Streaming IP tunnel, EXCEPT one specific application which needs to go through the Shared IP tunnel.

Or another way of putting it would be, how can I have both tunnels connected / active simultaneously, but get Windows to connect through the Streaming IP tunnel by default, and ONLY when I bind an application to the Shared IP tunnel, will that application's internet traffic pass through that tunnel instead?

From troubleshooting reading I've done so far, I think there are possibly some parameter changes that need to be made to the WireGuard configuration files such as "AllowedIPs =" and / or "Table =" etc.

The arrangement / configuration of these two WireGuard tunnels in Windows that I am trying to achieve is similar to how I have internet connectivity defined on my Ubiquiti UDM-SE router - where I have WAN 1 (Primary Faster ISP) and WAN 2 (Secondary Slower ISP) as a failover. By default devices on my network will connect to the internet through WAN 1 unless it fails-over to WAN 2. However I use traffic routes to force certain devices to use WAN 2 even if WAN 1 is still active / hasn't failed.

So what I'm trying to achieve with WireGuard for Windows is comparable to that above analogy~; where both tunnels will always be active simultaneously, expect imagine Streaming IP tunnel as 'WAN 1' and the Shared IP tunnel as if it were 'WAN 2'.