What's new

Windows 8 cannot access GoFlex external HD on my network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thira

New Around Here
My Home Computer (HC) has Windows 8 as the OS. It is wired to an Asus RT-AC66U wireless router. The router is directly wired to an Asus RT-N66U wireless router converted to an access point. My GoFlex HDD is connected directly to the Access Point (RT-N66U).
From my HC, I can open the RT-N66U, and look at the network map, and see the GoFlex listed and the network address, XXX.XXX.X.XXX. If I go to run on the HC, and type\\XXX.XXX.X.XXX, it says Windows can't communicate with the device. The Home Computer shows nothing under Network. If I look at "Computer" I can see all the HDD plus GoFlexHome:UPNP and even open the external HDD. But I cannot copy or move files from my computer to the GoFlex external HDD.

I called Seagate Tech Support who said the GoFlex had to show under Network for me to use it.

My wireless laptop(WL) is connected to my network. The GoFlex HDD is under network as is my HC. I can use the GoFlex drive normally and transfer folders or files back and forth. The WL also shows my HC under network, but when I try to access the HC, "Windows cannot communicate with the device"

Both computers are joined to the same workgroup. Under Network and Sharing Center the WLactive network is the name of my wireless network, and is joined under Homegroup. My HC under active network states Network 2, joined under homegroup. The connections are Wireless for the WL and Ethernet for the HC.

Any help to get my HC on the proper network or settings is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.