What's new

Wired router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zalophus

Occasional Visitor
Currently have Linksys e2000 hard-wired (Cat6) to two PC,s and one Gigabit switch which connects an HDTV, BR Disc Player, and AV Receiver.

I have one laptop that connects wirelessly for basic surfing from other rooms.

I do a lot of Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming.

My ISP is Comcast and my speeds are consistent at 28Mbps down and 6 Mbps up. I have to ability to upgrade to 50Mbps Down.

Before upgrading to the 50Mbps I would like to know if there is any advantage to upgrading my router, as far as wired streaming, and if so, what features/specs should I be most interested in.

Thanks

a few years back, i was told i was the first comcast customer in my city to try their 50mbit package. the routers of the era could not hit the full bandwidth. the e2000 seems to have the exact same lan-wan throughput. i would definitely get something new. back then, soho routers were pretty much all garbage for that kind of throughput. i had to build my own, using an old 1ghz pentium3. this worked very well, i was hitting something like 65mbit down. now, modern SOHO routers can do it and at a fraction of the power consumption. you should absolutely upgrade. the e2000 still makes a decent AP, i actually bought these (two) for that purpose, specifically.

i'm going to be picking up an asus ac56 in the very near future simply because of the hardware; i expect it to future-proof me for NAT performance for many years to come. i also run tcp and udp openvpn servers on my n66, which the ac56 will take over. with that purchase, i'll be moving my n66 to take the place of the one e2000 i am using as an AP, and my e2000 functioning as an AP will take the place of the linksys se2500 to function as a dedicated gigabit switch.

another cool thing is if i ever need it, i could use my n66 at another location to function as an openvpn client router back to the ac56 at home.

not sure what i'll do with the se2500 (gigabit switch), yet. probably will collect dust until i need it for some random purpose.

(an aside, i've since switched to dsl; cheaper and i love the latency. miss the bandwidth, though)