What's new

Solved Wired and Wireless Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someoldguy

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone.

I have a d-link dir615 router. I have used Speedtest to clock my max download speed at 30mbps. I have glitching and lagging sometimes when streaming and was wondering if a router upgrade would help. If so, what would you recommend?

The D-Link DIR-615 is an ancient router that hasn't received any security updates for well over a decade. On that basis alone you should replace it.

Whether that will fix your problem is hard to say. Quite often what you describe is caused by an ISP issue, a problem with your modem, or a wiring issue.

What sort of internet connection do you have? Cable modem, ADSL, VDSL, fibre, etc.

I have Xplore Net Satellite. Not really bad, but, as you said , I do need a router upgrade anyway. What could you recommend that would give me security and not be overkill?

I hadn't heard of Xplore Net Satellite before but looking at their website it looks like you've got 25Mbps down and only 1Mbps up. It's worth asking your ISP to check your connection because that's borderline for reliable streaming of some services.

Just about any wireless router you can buy today will be superior to what you've got. There's no need to spend lots of money considering what you currently have works (mostly). In terms of range most current routers will be about the same as each other because they are limited by government regulation. So don't spend extra money thinking that will give more range.

People have their favourite brands and there are a lot of Asus fanboys on this forum so you see lots of recommendation for them. I can't really give a specific recommendation. The last three router's I've had have been Asus and they've been reliable for me. Other people's experiences may be different.

Do you have any specific needs, e.g. lots of wireless IoT devices?

Not alot , we stream a movie every now and then, some face time, facebook , email. I have a workshop about 80ft from the house. It would be nice to have enough wireless access there to search for help on occasionally projects. I was looking at these earlier.

Thanks alot

That seems quite reasonable. But I have no person experience of TP-Link devices. Maybe see if they do any well-reviewed cheap AX routers as AC routers are getting quite old now.

I hadn't heard of Xplore Net Satellite before but looking at their website it looks like you've got 25Mbps down and only 1Mbps up. It's worth asking your ISP to check your connection because that's borderline for reliable streaming of some services.

That would hardly even qualify as Broadband down here in the US...

as @ColinTaylor mentions - might check in with them to see if there are newer packages available.

Might also look to see if there are other providers that offer 5G-Fixed Wireless - Xplore does in some markets, Bell and Rogers do as well.

Anyways - as mentioned, the D-Link router you have is old, well beyond it's use-by date, and the concern now is not performance, but reliability.

If you're looking for something more up to date, and reasonably affordable, GL-Inet's Flint2 device has seen some good feedback on the forums here..

At $200 Canadian, it's a decent value

For this Internet line and the basic requirements something like this is more than enough:

1705453438751.png

Is it better then the existing one? - definitely. Will it reach the shop 80ft away? - it depends.

Amazon Canada price above in CAD.

That would hardly even qualify as Broadband down here in the US...

as @ColinTaylor mentions - might check in with them to see if there are newer packages available.

Might also look to see if there are other providers that offer 5G-Fixed Wireless - Xplore does in some markets, Bell and Rogers do as well.

Anyways - as mentioned, the D-Link router you have is old, well beyond it's use-by date, and the concern now is not performance, but reliability.

If you're looking for something more up to date, and reasonably affordable, GL-Inet's Flint2 device has seen some good feedback on the forums here..

At $200 Canadian, it's a decent value
Thanks so much
My son in a bigger town has downloads at over 700mbps. Satellite is all we have available here and that was upgraded this summer from 6mbps!

Although this Archer AX23 is an entry-level model it's much better than what you currently have. It will perhaps fix satellite receiver to your clients connection, but keep in mind satellite internet technology has some drawbacks. The latency is higher and the connection is weather dependent. Clouds, rain, snow the new router won't fix.

If you want to minimize lag (latency) and maximize range and throughput, then I would not recommend any AC class router.

The routers I would recommend today are the RT-AX68U (the closest match for your (lower) ISP speeds while giving the benefits of AX-class hardware). Or, the more expensive and powerful RT-AX88U Pro or the GT-AX6000. Look for sales if you can wait. Spending $50 or even $100 more is easily your best value forward today. Not that you'll see better performance over the RT-AX68U (but you may), but it will be a router you can use for a much longer timeframe as your ISP speeds (or ISP, period), change.

While you can buy the models suggested in this thread, you'll be looking at upgrading much sooner than later. Even without getting an ISP upgrade.

To me, what it comes down to is cost. If you're looking at ~$200 for a new router, don't look at AC-class hardware. Even if you have to spend extra, the few dollars more will be well worth it for the increased security and longevity of the hardware you buy today.

Although this Archer AX23 is an entry-level model it's much better than what you currently have. It will perhaps fix satellite receiver to your clients connection, but keep in mind satellite internet technology has some drawbacks. The latency is higher and the connection is weather dependent. Clouds, rain, snow the new router won't fix.
Thanks So Much

I may have to put up with the lag and glitch. It's not overly "bad", even when the weather is unpleasant.

If you want to minimize lag (latency) and maximize range and throughput, then I would not recommend any AC class router.

The routers I would recommend today are the RT-AX68U (the closest match for your (lower) ISP speeds while giving the benefits of AX-class hardware). Or, the more expensive and powerful RT-AX88U Pro or the GT-AX6000. Look for sales if you can wait. Spending $50 or even $100 more is easily your best value forward today. Not that you'll see better performance over the RT-AX68U (but you may), but it will be a router you can use for a much longer timeframe as your ISP speeds (or ISP, period), change.

While you can buy the models suggested in this thread, you'll be looking at upgrading much sooner than later. Even without getting an ISP upgrade.

To me, what it comes down to is cost. If you're looking at ~$200 for a new router, don't look at AC-class hardware. Even if you have to spend extra, the few dollars more will be well worth it for the increased security and longevity of the hardware you buy today.
Thanks So Much

If what you have is working well-enough between the satellite reciever and your end-points you're probably okay with it. Obviously you're in a remote-enough locale that bad guys hacking into your wifi network is little-to-no concern, and with the abysmal data rate available, if your router got hacked from the other side of the satellite I doubt there'd be sufficient interest to do anything with it.

You first need to determine whether your glitches could/would even be fixable by new wifi gear, or that it's just the nature of your outside connection.

Buy one from somewhere with a good return policy. Try it and see if it resolves any of your issues, then decide to return it or not.

Thanks

i have decided too upgrade, if only for the enhanced security. For 1 hundred buck cdn or so, I will get more peace of mind at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!