What's new

Wired Speed problem.. Config / QOS issue??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

solidlogic

New Around Here
Just got the N66U I like the feature set but I am having some sort of speed issue. I getting about 1/10th of the speed thru the wire as I was with my airport extreme. I am on Comcast in Houston. With speed test .net I am getting between 2.5-6 down when I use to get 25 down and the upload test does not even start. I have tried updating the firmware to the Asus latest and also used RMerlins latest. I also cleared NVRAM and reconfigured. I assume I am over looking something in the QoS or maybe somewhere else. Any ideas. Thanks

Last edited:
Start with the most basic setup you can: all wired, do not enable QoS, power cycle your modem (with cable modem it's best to actually keep them off for about 5 minutes to ensure that your old "session" expires).

Also make sure you are not using older ethernet cables. The RT-N66U is a gigabit router, so using older Cat 5 cables might cause stability issues. Cables must be either Cat 5e or Cat 6, both between modem/router and router/computer.

Thanks for your help guys

WAN is set to WAN

Basic Config
Auto IP
Yes
Yes
Yes

WAN DNS
Yes

Account Settings
None

Special Requirement from ISP
Blank

I have cat 6 cables using the exact same ones when testing each router (N66U / Airport Extreme) . The QoS is set to off / Automatic mode. The QoS text is confusing on weather it is Automatically on or not.

Last two speed test results
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2132928114.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2132901158.png

Again Just got 30 down with my airport extreme with wireless
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2133032250.png

I tried Changing DNS servers this did not help.

Could this be a bad router? I am about done with this. I can just set up my own VPN server up faster. At this point I think it will be better for my config. I am open to any other ideas though?

Last edited:
my WAN is DHCP. Don't worry about it though boxed it up and taking it back. Again thanks for your help. Cheers!

It's very odd that there would be bandwidth speed problems unless the modem wasn't properly reset for the new router but you wouldn't think there would be a connection at all if that didn't connect properly.

I have posted about this before and this may or may not be related but I was having strange connection related throughput problems using my N66U with certain applications until I changed the time zone settings to U.S. region. When certain applications accessed the internet from my PC they would stall or give time out errors. All those problems went away when I properly set the time zone for my region. My N66U came with the default set to a city in China. I have to reset the time zone again whenever I clear the nvram.

I thought I remember reading during a search about this issue that some servers or secure servers that are accessed by some applications restrict access unless the time zone is correctly set to an "accepted" region. This is just a guess but maybe for security reasons and to help deter unauthorized access and high bandwidth usage resulting from hacking some ISP's might automatically throttle connections and monitor packet information detected from a router that is set to certain overseas regional time zones...but again that is just a guess. The other thing I would weigh heavily on diagnosing solidlogic's reported problem of slow speeds are the DNS settings.

Last edited: