What's new

Wireguard Server - not showing connection status?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BlueOrbit

Regular Contributor
I configured a Wireguard server on my Asus AX86U router running Merlin FW and connect to it without an issue from my laptop. At least my laptop is showing good connection status. But on the router, there is no indication of a connection status either on the "VPN Status" tab or on the WireGuardVPN server tab.

I do get a connection status when I connect using OpenVPN, but not for Wireguard.

Thanks for any help on this...

Last edited:
I have noticed this as well. There is a log file at /tmp/etc/wg/wgs1.log but it doesn't show much, just the server parameters.

Wireguard when connected will show a green dot on the key icon to the left of the wireguard client name. It does seem to take some time for the green dot to go away after the connection is closed.

I seem to recall a long ago post where @RMerlin mentioned that this is completely normal and expected behavior for Wireguard: it is a stateless connection, and as such it doesn't "track" or log when clients connect or disconnect, which is the completely opposite behavior to OpenVPN.
Perhaps he or others can confirm if this is right...

Well today I cleared my browser cache and WireGuard came back to the VPN status tab...but I do not get the client reporting anywhere in the GUI - I don't get a blue dot on the client when it is connected. There is only 1 PNG file in that folder per client. I would expect a second 1 with that dot. So I have a full, from scratch reconfigure with AMTM wipe in my future. I will try to see exactly what change makes this stop working.

EDITED: I had clicked PRE-SHARED KEY on the WireGuard advanced settings. The status of the client then worked as it should in the VPN server tab and in the VPN server status tab.

Last edited:
I have noticed that my router doesn't obviously show any connection status for my wireguard clients either (at least comparing to what I used to see in OpenVPN) - in poking around, I found that if I went to:

System Log
Connections

and then sorted by NAT Address I could tell by client IP Address which ones were connected..... Not exactly easy but gives you a sense for which ones are active at that point in time

1702421711801.png