What's new

Wireless can't connect -one- *BAND* (AC5300/weird)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@videovillain try doing the suggested (and pertinent) steps in the link in post 6.

Your router is not acting 'normal' at all.

Was this working well, ever? Is this a new purchase? Purchased from your region? Maybe the seller can help you get one for your specific region?

Also tx bursting should be set to disable

@videovillain try doing the suggested (and pertinent) steps in the link in post 6.

Your router is not acting 'normal' at all.

Was this working well, ever? Is this a new purchase? Purchased from your region? Maybe the seller can help you get one for your specific region?
It's never worked properly, I got it a couple years ago, bought it in the US and had it shipped.

I will take a look at your post, thanks

Also, if I can't get the 5GHz-2 to work due to the limitations in Japan, where could I find some good tweaks to improve the 5GHz-1 band?

Thanks!

EDIT: OK I've just seen your reply:
It's never worked properly, I got it a couple years ago, bought it in the US and had it shipped.
That explains everything. So it's probably best to turn off the 5GHz-2 radio completely (Wireless > Professional).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, auto doesn't help. And the manual change only lets me pick from the following
Very strange. Looks like it might be a bug.

Did you purchase your router in Japan or was it imported from China? At the bottom of the Wireless - Professional page do you have an option to change the region?

Last edited:
EDIT: OK I've just seen your reply:

That explains everything. So it's probably best to turn off the 5GHz-2 radio completely (Wireless > Professional).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very strange. Looks like it might be a bug.

Did you purchase your router in Japan or was it imported from China? At the bottom of the Wireless - Professional page do you have an option to change the region?

Does this really explain everything though? I bought it in the US but can't set the channels? Japan doesn't have magical channel suppressing capabilities right? So how could it be stopping the signal, and why does the signal sometimes get sent through?

I do not see any place to change region at the bottom of the Wireless - Professional page.

I have turned the 5GHz-2 band off for now.

Does this really explain everything though? I bought it in the US but can't set the channels? Japan doesn't have magical channel suppressing capabilities right? So how could it be stopping the signal, and why does the signal sometimes get sent through?

I do not see any place to change region at the bottom of the Wireless - Professional page.

I have turned the 5GHz-2 band off for now.
Yes, I don't know how the router could know you're in Japan. Maybe it's just a coincidental bug. But regardless, we know from experience that clients that have cellular connectivity (i.e. phones) are aware of the region they are in and will refuse to connect to a WiFi access point using illegal channels. So at the end of the day those upper channels are of limited use even if they were working.

If you haven't done so already I suggest that you do a standard factory reset and set it up again. There may have been some bug in a previous firmware that's been carried forward. Resetting it might clear it.

The ability to change the region was only present in certain models that were sold in China.

Last edited:
I am noticing similar; in the US with a US bought pair of AC5300s. I factory reset both router and node last night and set up again from scratch with 386.1 b3 and I was just seeing the same symptoms so came back to re-read this thread.

The upper band is visible in wifi analyzer (ch 157) but no devices were connected to it. Smart Connect is disabled. Having read the post earlier about disabling tx bursting I did that on 5Ghz-2 and applied; now all the devices that were connected to 5Ghz-1 are connected to 5Ghz-2 and none are connected to 5Ghz-1.

Now I just turned off tx bursting on 5Ghz-1 and devices are connect to both bands again. Will keep an eye on things and see if devices just fall off 5Ghz-2 again.

Yes, I don't know how the router could know you're in Japan. Maybe it's just a coincidental bug. But regardless, we know from experience that clients that have cellular connectivity (i.e. phones) are aware of the region they are in and will refuse to connect to a WiFi access point using illegal channels. So at the end of the day those upper channels are of limited use even if they were working.

If you haven't done so already I suggest that you do a standard factory reset and set it up again. There may have been some bug in a previous firmware that's been carried forward. Resetting it might clear it.

The ability to change the region was only present in certain models that were sold in China.
Great, thanks for your help!

I started using Asus Merlin around December 2019. I switched to Asus Merlin because I was having the same exact types of issues. Devices would get kicked off wireless and then certain bands would stop working. I tried multiple different things that were directly related to wireless settings. But what ultimately solved the problem and then stabilized everything was going into LAN->Switch Control, then disabling Spanning Tree Protocol. I believe this is disabled by default on Asus routers, but I think one of the Asus official updates turned it on. Then the setting just continued to be set even when I went to Asus Merlin. Turning it off was the fix for me.

STP was enabled on my router; turned it off now. Devices are connected to both 5Ghz bands today - not noticed an idle band with no devices so far.

I'm afraid to disable STP since I have multiple Asus repeaters connected wirelessly (I wish I could do wired backbone, but my house/walls are a dumpster fire).

Actually I re-enabled it because I have Sonos devices using my wifi (not their own Sonos net) and was worried not having STP would interfere with their operation. I don't really notice any difference one way or the other as far as the other devices are concerned but I have not done any focused testing.

Actually I re-enabled it because I have Sonos devices using my wifi (not their own Sonos net) and was worried not having STP would interfere with their operation. I don't really notice any difference one way or the other as far as the other devices are concerned but I have not done any focused testing.
That's a great point re: Sonos and STP.
I REALLY miss the old Sonos net - I have older (v1) devices and the performance/reliability was so much better.
(actually all the new ones - if not using AirPlay 2 - are a complete load of sh-t)

I forced them to use my wifi because I didn't want yet another 2.4Ghz network competing for channel space. I have a playbar (wired), a few play:1 (gen 1) and a new sonos move all wireless - they work fine on my existing wifi.