What's new

Wireless Network disappears daily

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheDaveAbides

Occasional Visitor
I've got an ASUS AX58U running Merlin (Current Version : 386.5_2), which is running nextDNS (I don't know what version, but it's probably due for an update). Also running is an OpenVPN server.

At least once a day, if not several times a day, devices lose connectivity. It'll be fine one moment, then suddenly the Mac will show no connection, phones will switch to cellular, and the home hub will be disconnected (which is wired). A minute or 2 later, everything is fine. I'm not sure what steps to take to diagnosing this problem. Maybe I'll disable the OpenVPN server, and update nextDNS to see if it improves. But I'm open to any other suggestion.s

I waited a couple days to gain some data and I have 2 system logs where a crash exists.

June 10th around 12:23:
Code:
Jun 10 12:21:13 dropbear[19218]: Login attempt for nonexistent user
Jun 10 12:21:24 nextdns[2762]: Connected XX.XX.XX.236:443 (con=19ms tls=27ms, TCP, TLS13)
Jun 10 12:22:26 dropbear[19370]: Login attempt for nonexistent user
Jun 10 12:22:40 nextdns[2762]: Connected XXX.XX.XX.163:443 (con=15ms tls=29ms, TCP, TLS13)
Jun 10 12:23:46 dropbear[19532]: Login attempt for nonexistent user
...[many seemingly random log entries from May 5]
.....[I assume the reboot]
Code:
Jun 10 12:26:04 ntpd: Initial clock set
Jun 10 12:26:04 rc_service: ntpd_synced 3053:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Jun 10 12:26:04 disk_monitor: Finish

June 14th around 8:22
Code:
Jun 14 08:22:23 kernel:  *** ERROR: [send_redir_page:625] # redir_url=http://192.168.50.1:80/blocking.asp?cat_id=89&mac= (There's tons of these errors)
Jun 14 08:22:34 nextdns[2750]: Connected XXX.X.XXX.163:443 (con=15ms tls=31ms, TCP, TLS13)
...[many seemingly random log entries from May 5]
.....[I assume the reboot]
Code:
Jun 14 08:24:22 ntpd: Initial clock set
Jun 14 08:24:22 rc_service: ntpd_synced 3033:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Jun 14 08:24:22 disk_monitor: Finish

I'm not sure where to go from here. I can expand if needed, but I don't see anything that jumps out at the immediate time of reboot. There's tons of those kernel error redir, and also tons of entries from May 5 in between everything. Maybe a cache is filling up? I'm really not sure.

The May 5 entries indicates that your router was rebooted. That would explain why your devices are disconnecting.

So if it wasn't you deliberately rebooting the router then it's likely that it crashed. We'd have to see the complete unedited syslog to try and identify the cause. You can upload it to pastebin.com and provide a link if you want us to look at it.

Side note: The dropbear messages indicate that someone or something is trying to SSH into your router. Again, if that's not you then it's a security concern. Make sure that SSH access is not enabled for "LAN & WAN" (Administration - System). If it is then change it to "LAN only". If it's already set to LAN only then try to identify what it is on your LAN that is attempting to access the router.

Although this does not describe your problem some of the info might perhaps be helpful to identify your problem.
On my AC5300 I experienced that the second 5Ghz crashed when DNS over TLS could not properly connect to the DNS server when my Openvpn client is on. Given the security of my vpn service I have switched off DNS over TLS and the 5GHz-2 has never crashed again.

So if it wasn't you deliberately rebooting the router then it's likely that it crashed. We'd have to see the complete unedited syslog to try and identify the cause. You can upload it to pastebin.com and provide a link if you want us to look at it.
I will look in to that when I get a chance and post the 2 logs. So I know, is there any security concern, posting logs of my home router with all the IP addresses and whatever else?

Thanks for the tip on SSH, I switched it to LAN only. I also have disabled OpenVPN, and it does seem more stable. Oddly enough, I think Safari on my Mac is also more reliable since I made that change.

I will look in to that when I get a chance and post the 2 logs. So I know, is there any security concern, posting logs of my home router with all the IP addresses and whatever else?
The only thing you would normally hide is your public IP address if it appears in the logs. And also any personal DDNS information if you're using that and it's visible in to log. Obviously give the log quick look through in case there's something obvious (e.g your email address) that an add-on script might be putting out.

Thanks for the tip on SSH, I switched it to LAN only. I also have disabled OpenVPN, and it does seem more stable. Oddly enough, I think Safari on my Mac is also more reliable since I made that change.
Exposing SSH and OpenVPN servers to the internet on standard ports is asking for trouble. It's possible the router got overwhelmed trying to block the incoming traffic and that caused it to crash. Obviously it ought not to crash but, you know, bugs....

Here's a crash on June 14 around 8:22am

Thanks for all the tips. I changed the SSH settings and turned off OpenVPN. Crashes still happening once per day.

Thanks for the file. The first thing I'd mention is that we're still seeing failed SSH login attempts to the router. Check again the SSH is only allowed from the LAN. If it is I strongly suggest that you find out what device on your LAN is doing this. It's possible (but unlikely) this is contributing to your problem.

As for the reboots, that's a bit of a mystery. I was expecting it to be caused by some process crashing, which is quite a common issue. However there is no indication that the router crashed. For all intents and purposes it looks like the router was turned off and on again. Check the power adapter and cables for loose connections.

Here's today's crash. I don't remember if yesterday's I had turned off SSH, but I know on this it is turned off.

The router is high up on the top of a desk hutch, and if I recall the power adapter cable is pretty short. So odds are it's connected to a cheap indoor extension. I will look in to getting a higher gauge extension.

Here's today's crash. I don't remember if yesterday's I had turned off SSH, but I know on this it is turned off.
Thanks. Again, no obvious sign of a software problem.

The router is high up on the top of a desk hutch, and if I recall the power adapter cable is pretty short. So odds are it's connected to a cheap indoor extension. I will look in to getting a higher gauge extension.
Got any pets? :)

Got any pets?

Yes I do. A dog who sheds. But the power is behind the really heavy and difficult to move desk. But I will certainly check that out and also check out the router itself for airflow. It's certainly possible I don't dust up there enough.

Thanks again for all your help. I appreciate it.

Hi, I seem to be facing a similar problem and I was wondering whether you managed to solve this problem, and what the solution was if any?

My list of possibilities right now include:
  1. RAM failing
  2. OpenVPN problem (will try turning off)
  3. Overheating
Thanks in advance!
JB

Yes, I did get it fixed. I think it was turning off parental controls, but a lot of people mentioned turning off AiProtection so I did that too. I did turn off OpenVPN, but I don't think that was the issue. I haven't turned any of these back on.

Something strange I have noticed. I did attempt to install Adguard Home, but it just didn't feel right (high RAM usage) so I uninstalled it. However, I noticed continued high RAM usage (90s) where before it was usually 74%. Very low CPU usage though. But I've had uptime of 16 days, so it's probably ok.

Thanks for the reply! I don't have parental controls on, I do have AiProtection on, and I just turned off OpenVPN, and, touch wood, the router seems to be behaving itself so far. Will update if there are futher developments, just in case others run into this issue as well.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!