What's new

WNDR4000 Antenna Mod

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cpmiller22

New Around Here
Hi all:

I recently ordered a netgear wndr4000 to replace my old dir-655. I'm looking for some feedback on the benefits of the custom antenna mod kits that I've seen available (primarily on ebay). I've seen both 7db and 9db kits and was hoping someone might have some feedback as to the benefits provided. My goal is to maximize coverage on the ground floor of my house.

Thanks-

It has no external antenna connector. Since it's MIMO capable, it would have specialized internal antennas. Certainly don't advise hacking the PC board to try to add non-MIMO-related external antennas for each band.

The internal antennas probably have 2-4 dBi gain and slightly directional. MIMO itself, esp. if your clients support MIMO, adds another few dB of equivalent gain.

Trying to improve this by just 5 dB or so with hacked external antennas, fouling up MIMO, and adding losses from coax and connectors, isn't going to make a significant difference. The path loss is on the order of 70dB or so, the ratio of 5 to 70 is small, i.e., it's like getting 2 more watts from a 75 watt light bulb.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!