What's new

WPA2-Personal vs WPA2/WPA3 Personal

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which is what we're talking about here.

Well maybe, if I knew what I was talking about! :)

I'm less concerned about the specific actor/label than I am about the action/result. As I 'see' it for my purposes, acsd is making decisions on behalf of Auto settings, and DFS could very well be a condition to that decision process... which could mean acsd is in play even when setting a fixed channel and fixed bandwidth, like for 160MHz... if it has to move off DFS (radar detected), then it has to move off DFS, even when the setting is not "Auto".

It seems to work fine for some people like @bbunge but inconsistently for myself. However, the more I looked into how acds2 makes decisions the more complicated I realised it was.

Indeed, complicated! And I didn't even realize acsd/Auto was in disrepair.

Channel 153 was probably chosen by ACSD because he's set both the channel and the bandwidth to auto. ACSD selects the channel/bandwidth combination based on what it thinks is "best". The router may have started up on a different (perhaps DFS) channel and then switched at a later time (we don't have that information).

Since your initial explanation of 20/40/80/160, I added the suffix (auto) to mean 'auto' [max] bandwidth, not fixed like 160MHz.

Given ch Auto and 'auto' bw that includes 160MHz, I'd expect the router to boot to a control channel in one of the 160MHz ranges, and stay there unless some Auto/DFS detection dictates a change. WiFi and radar are minimal around here so maybe I can make some observations to prove/disprove some presumptions.

OE

I'm less concerned about the specific actor/label than I am about the action/result. As I 'see' it for my purposes, acsd is making decisions on behalf of Auto settings, and DFS could very well be a condition to that decision process... which could mean acsd is in play even when setting a fixed channel and fixed bandwidth, like for 160MHz... if it has to move off DFS (radar detected), then it has to move off DFS, even when the setting is not "Auto".
There are two independent processes happening here. The primary process is the wireless driver. It is this that checks the channel it wants to use is clear of radar. It changes channel only when radar is detected. What formula the driver uses to decide the new channel is unknown.

Secondly ACSD may be running***. ACSD periodically collects statistics from the wireless driver about things like noise, co-channels, transmission errors, etc. Depending on the statics it sees it may decide there is a better channel and tell the wireless driver to use that instead.

*** ACSD does not run at all if both the channel and bandwidth are set to fixed values.

CORRECTION: Having tested this again, specifically on 5GHz, I've had to correct my earlier post. :oops: Unlike for the 2.4GHz band, setting the bandwidth to auto and the channel to manual does not cause ACSD to run. The wireless driver sets the initial bandwidth and then adjusts it (or not) based of the GUI setting.

*** ACSD does not run at all if both the channel and bandwidth are set to fixed values.

That has been my config and why I have not seen acsd in the Log.

CORRECTION: Having tested this again, specifically on 5GHz, I've had to correct my earlier post. :oops:

Join the club! :)

Unlike for the 2.4GHz band, setting the bandwidth to auto and the channel to manual does not cause ACSD to run. The wireless driver sets the initial bandwidth and then adjusts it (or not) based of the GUI setting.

It's getting more complicated! Thanks for the insight.

OE

No, careless...

@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow - The Wi-Fi Abuser! :)

The way I see it, you have to be careless carefree aggressive and then pull it back some until it's just right. The problem is... one needs to know what they are doing and what they are observing. It takes time and learning to get there... and patience.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!