What's new

Xbox 360 Slim - 11n slow, 11g normal

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quad5Ny

Occasional Visitor
TLDR: Xbox 360s Wireless N is slow as shirt, Wireless G is normal. Did lots of tests, all other devices normal. Is probably going to replace the 360. Microsofts Xbox live max download speed is only 3MB/s. :rolleyes:

---

I'm sort of pulling my hair out here trying to figure this out. Please be vocal if you have a suggestion, even if its telling me I'm a idiot.

My Xbox 360 Slim's wireless transfer speeds wont go over 400KB/s when connecting to my 11n network. Yet if I set the router to G only everything is great and I get 2MB/s.

I've tried changing every setting that should make a difference and every variation of them (CTS, Regulatory, DTIM Interval, Preamble, 11n Preamble, Afterburner, WMM). The only thing that gets me decent speeds is disabling 11n.

No other device I own has any trouble. :confused: RSSI is about -8 dBm (which is pretty dam good). Up to this point I've done everything but put the 360 in the same room as my router and/or try a second router.

Code:
Router: RT-N66U w/1.0.0.3 CFE patch
Firmware: Toastman Tomato STD RT-N (K26, MIPSR2, 64K NVRAM) Mini v1.28.0500.5

P.S. Yes, my connection is enough to saturate 11g; 50Mbps. So forcing 11g for 2.4GHz really isn't a option I would like to consider.

Last edited:
I just tried a 2012 AirPort Express and while the it slightly better (700KB/s), 11n its still not working correctly on the 360.

Next I'm going to try moving a router into the same room and then buy a new Xbox 360 Slim.

OK, I'm in the same dam room as the 360 now and it's not any better (thank god for that 50ft Cat6 cable I bought). So I guess I'm out to buy a new 360.

Does anyone have advise on convincing Microsoft the POS they shipped is broken and to repair it?

For a little further testing I put the AirPort Express in "Join a Network" mode, joined my 11n network and connected (wired) the AirPort Express to the 360.

I then started a download and placed it (the AE) in different positions around my Xbox. I wasn't able to find any dead-zones.

My only conclusion at this point is the 360's Wireless card is dying or Microsoft Wireless Driver is f*cked up.

---

Also if anyone is curious, apparently the best (average) download speed you can get out of a Xbox/Microsofts servers is 3MB/s, and the transfer speed fluctuates all over the place (See Picture).

Xcom Demo (1.5GB), Connected via Ethernet directly to router, No other Internet activity during download:

Attachments

• 360_Max_DL_Speed.png
    360_Max_DL_Speed.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 690
It seems the 360 is only negotiating a connection rate of 5.5Mbps with the Access Point.

If I go into the routers console and execute "wl rate 54" it will temporally bring my download speeds up to 2MB/s. (The rate command only supports up to 54 but I'm sure I could 3MB/s if I could go higher.)

Unfortunately this is not a real solution. Now I really have to get a second Xbox to test this (a third N router as well) because if this effects other 360's I have to prove it to Microsoft and get them to fix it. God damnit. =|

Last edited:
Have you tried a different wireless adapter on the xbox?

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=50107.0

Yes, Sort of. Instead of a different wireless adapter, I used a spare router (RT-N16) I had lying around. It's a half-a*s fix but it works.

FYI this is (apparently) a known issue with the 360's wireless adapter and some routers. Bluepoint pointed it out to me in this other thread I made regarding the issue.

More details will be here from now on (page 15 is where I started posting):
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7774&page=15

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!