What's new

Xbox One / One S Gaming Problems with RT-3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SHORYUKENcountonmyvote

New Around Here
Apologies for reviving and old thread, but this was the closest i found to what my issue may be. I have an Asus AC RT3100 behind an Arris NVG599 (ATT) set up in bridge/P-T, which generally seems to behave fine. However, when streaming or multiplayer gaming on an XBOX ONE (and ONE S), it occasionally will lag or drop the stream. I don't see or notice the streaming issues when streaming to my laptop, which is often connected to a Surface Dock (also, wired/ethernet) or via wifi, though 'sample size' is small there as I/we usually stream/game via Xbox's.
I have full (consumer) gigabit svc from ATT to the Arris, LAN to the ASUS Wan, and have set up the bridge/P-T per instructions on this forum (generally). Both Xboxes are wired to the Asus LAN, as well as a few peripherals, nothing more challenging than printers or kb/m. Everything else wifi. We probably have 10 other clients max at any time, most of them inactive or some small background activity, and collectively I'm never approaching max possible throughput. Adaptive QoS & Smart Connect are enabled, and firewall active on the ASUS (disabled on Arris).
The issues have been somewhat inconsistent, in that sometimes I can stream an episode w/o any problems, but historically I continue to have persistent issues with lagging and losing streams. I've toyed with the settings, reset the router & gateway, etc. This is a fairly recent and clean install, having exchanged another ATT router for the Arris so that I could do a truer bridge. My level of expertise is probably something like 'moderate level beginner', and I've read up and worked through many various issues on my last couple of router setups with varying degree of success.

Speedtests all show very decent throughput, both wired and wireless, ping, etc and so weren't helpful in troubleshooting; my assumption is that it's nothing to do with overall bandwidth.
However, recently I began monitoring the "bandwidth monitor" in the Asus software and what I'm noticing is the download speed is 'bouncing', sometimes between zero and XXX as well as btwn X and XXX. I'm not knowledgeable enough to say this is indicative of the stream drops and lagging, but as it will often bounce btwn Zero and XXX, I thought maybe that's where I'm getting framedrops/disconnects/lags during multiplayer, and stream errors/disconnects while watching Netflix etc. Running XBOX network testing always shows open nat and considerable speed, and ping never over say 60ms, so that's been no help either. When gaming, I always choose all bars/green servers. While BF1 can be pretty solid most of the time, BF4 less so, and Team Fortress 2 (an Xbox 360 back compat title) is a mess of lag and lost servers. I've played BF4 for a couple of yrs now at least, and have never had similar issues, on slower, older routers.

In addition to what I've mentioned above, I've also tried different services (mostly more taxing ones like streams) while connected to the router, the gateway, and via wifi. In all situations, the download bandwidth fluxuates, often considerably from low/zero to high.

My questions are:
1. is the bandwidth speed 'bouncing' issue a normal behavior that I've just never been aware of?
2. if not, might that account for the issues gaming/streaming?
3. any ideas what to focus on to solve it?
4. how to test the gateway bandwith behavior to see if it's the root of the bouncing? I've only had occasion to see this using Asus router software - is there another software that might work similarly? (speedtests, again, do not show this bouncing as they're running their tests)

Thanks very much in advance for any suggestions!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!