What's new

Xbox 360 Weirdness RT-N66U Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
Good Day Good People of Small Net Builder.

Will give you a brief run down of the set up here so you know what I'm on about.

100/6mb virgin media uk
RT-N66U
Latest Merlin
5 PC's all fine
2 Nas drives
1 PS3 fine
1 Wii U all good
3 tablets, couple of phones, all good
1 Xbox 360 Weirdness

Whats the Weirdness...

Well it all connects fine to Xbox live, the first time....

Then Go back a day later and it will not connect fully to Xbox Live.

Unless the router is rebooted....

Then all sweet again...

I'm guessing that this maybe a DNS problem ?? Would using Googles 8.8.8.8 server as a setting work better?

Or could it be a TCP Timeout? I don't know I'm asking you clever guys..

Yes Optimised is ticked
Yes Every god damn port is forwarded.
Yes UpNp is on.
Yes its in DMZ
Yes it has its own assigned DHCP address

I look forward to any suggestion you may have? Should I try the DNS thing?

Or is that not the way forward?

Thank you for your time

Breaking Dad . (Matt)

just an xbox troubleshooting tip to try (if you have an external wireless adapter):

when this happens again, unplug the wireless adapter and plug it into another usb port. It it works again, the xbox usb ports are failing...this happened to mine and I went wired only.

You can try switching over to 8.8.8.8, but it should not work as your other devices would experience the same issue; that is a sever level and that type of problem affects everything. I've seen it before while deployed. I was smart enough to change to 8.8.8.8 and was the only guy on base who had internet...it screamed during those times for me.

If it is built in wireless, see if you can try moving it temporarily and use a LAN cable...just see if it reproduces this issue, but if you can't, you can still probably figure it out.

Come to think of it, my xbox has a similar issue LAN wise, but I just log in again...I think it's an xbox thing.

if you have the ports forwarded, try disabling UPnP; that would be my first guess as to what might be causing problems

How are you actual network settings set up on the 360? Make sure it set to automatic and reset to factory default settings.

I doubt it has anything to do with DNS.

I've always let my 360 do normal dhcp over wireless with upnp enabled and I haven't had a problem for a long time and never with my RT-N66U. It's a very old xbox with one of the first usb wireless adapters ms released for the 360. I don't have optimize for the xbox selected and i stream a lot of hd over G wifi with only a rare glitch here and there.

Combining a static ip, DMZ, port forwarding and upnp may be your problem. I'd try disabling the dmz and removing the forwarding and let automatic dhcp and upnp do their job. Doing a factory reset on the router might be a good idea as well.

When you enable DMZ, it bypasses upnp and port forwarding. So is only Xbox set up for DMZ or your entire network?

Try wired connection over night for Xbox. Other wise do a full reset of the router and set up all settings manually from scratch.

Try OEM firmware as well. Merlin does a good job fixing issues, but at times new fixes can bring new and unforseen bugs as well in the process.

Don't forget to reset your ISP modem.

Is the ISP modem a modem or is it a router-modem combo? If its a combo router/modem, then add n66 to DMZ list in the modem/router settings.

Last edited:
I've always let my 360 do normal dhcp over wireless with upnp enabled and I haven't had a problem for a long time and never with my RT-N66U. It's a very old xbox with one of the first usb wireless adapters ms released for the 360. I don't have optimize for the xbox selected and i stream a lot of hd over G wifi with only a rare glitch here and there.

Combining a static ip, DMZ, port forwarding and upnp may be your problem. I'd try disabling the dmz and removing the forwarding and let automatic dhcp and upnp do their job. Doing a factory reset on the router might be a good idea as well.

This is working perfectly now, I've done as you suggested and have gone back to basics. Removed the static IP, removed port forwards and removed DMZ. Allowing DHCP and upnp todo their thang.

Thank you.

Matt

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!