What's new

XMail SMTP port filtered on WAN side

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

netware5

Very Senior Member
I'm experimenting now with XMail from Entware package. Installed successfully. Everything is fine from LAN side, but port 25 is filtered from WAN side, i.e. the SMTP server is not visible from outside. How to enable it?

I'm experimenting now with XMail from Entware package. Installed successfully. Everything is fine from LAN side, but port 25 is filtered from WAN side, i.e. the SMTP server is not visible from outside. How to enable it?

You will need to open port 25 in the INPUT chain, however note that many ISPs will block port 25 on residential connections to limit the spreading of spam-generating malwares. Check first to see if your ISP does allow unfiltered access to port 25.

If they do allow unfiltered access to port 25, the following rule will open the port on the router firewall:

Code:
iptables -I INPUT -m tcp -p tcp --dport 25 -j ACCEPT

You will need to open port 25 in the INPUT chain, however note that many ISPs will block port 25 on residential connections to limit the spreading of spam-generating malwares. Check first to see if your ISP does allow unfiltered access to port 25.

If they do allow unfiltered access to port 25, the following rule will open the port on the router firewall:

Code:
iptables -I INPUT -m tcp -p tcp --dport 25 -j ACCEPT

Thank you Merlin! I had the idea to use IPTABLES and asked this question just in case if any other method (i.e. via WebUI exists). As I understood I should use IPTABLES in case I use any additional service from Entware package, which is going to be available from outside? Isn't it?

Thank you Merlin! I had the idea to use IPTABLES and asked this question just in case if any other method (i.e. via WebUI exists). As I understood I should use IPTABLES in case I use any additional service from Entware package, which is going to be available from outside? Isn't it?

That's correct. Anything that runs on the router itself must be in the INPUT chain (while the FORWARD chain is for stuff that runs on your LAN).

You can put those rules inside a firewall-start script.

netware5,
Can you pls share xmail installation steps? I installed it and phpxmail aswell. To get phpxmail working I had to add php extension php5-mod-sesssion. Now I see MailRoot.rat.bz2 file in /opt/etc folder and a bit stuck with the next steps.
Thanks

netware5,
Can you pls share xmail installation steps? I installed it and phpxmail aswell. To get phpxmail working I had to add php extension php5-mod-sesssion. Now I see MailRoot.rat.bz2 file in /opt/etc folder and a bit stuck with the next steps.
Thanks

I'm deeply interested on this too. Never managed to make xmail, dovecot or postfix to work.

In the xmail case, I readed the docs in the xmail page and uncompressed the mailroot folder where it showld be, also tryed to start it. Phpxmail seemed to work, but no mail deliver. And the sendmail binary doesnt worked too. Please post if you have an idea, I will be happy to do tests and try again.

I recently converted my site from asp to php and had to add something to send email from the website. I created a script, added php shell_exec to it and it worked. Try to search this forum for sendmail command line parameters if you need just to send emails.

Reactions: rod

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!