What's new

XT8 Issue Since Last 2 FW Updates

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wags1

Regular Contributor
Since the last FW update, and continuing thru the most recent FW update just released, I have been having an issue with one of my wireless devices that had never been a problem before. I am running a vanilla XT8 setup with one router and one node using wired/Ethernet backhaul. One of my wireless device on the 2.4ghz band constantly disconnects and reconnects. In the System Log I see 2 Disassoc then a Auth and a Assoc entry over and over again. I have the device bound to the main router and also have it listed in the roaming block list (it is a table top device and does not move and has always been in the same location).

The strange part is if I turn off my mesh node the problem goes away. Honestly I'm about ready to ebay the XT8's, buy a RT-AX86U and be done with it.

Anybody have any suggestions before I pull that trigger?

ASUS have an absolutely terrible track record with firmware for this router ... and, AFAICT from reading these forums, for all their consumer routers. If the two-releases-back F/W version worked reliably for you, probably the thing to do is revert to that until they come out with one that works better for you.

If you've had it with their inability to program their way out of a paper bag, jumping ship is a good idea, but I'd bet against you being a whole lot happier with a different ASUS model. Time to look for another manufacturer with a better software team. Or maybe you could try Merlin's F/W releases.

Since the last FW update, and continuing thru the most recent FW update just released, I have been having an issue with one of my wireless devices that had never been a problem before. I am running a vanilla XT8 setup with one router and one node using wired/Ethernet backhaul. One of my wireless device on the 2.4ghz band constantly disconnects and reconnects. In the System Log I see 2 Disassoc then a Auth and a Assoc entry over and over again. I have the device bound to the main router and also have it listed in the roaming block list (it is a table top device and does not move and has always been in the same location).

The strange part is if I turn off my mesh node the problem goes away. Honestly I'm about ready to ebay the XT8's, buy a RT-AX86U and be done with it.

Anybody have any suggestions before I pull that trigger?

A couple ideas, one at a time...

Turn OFF Roaming Assistant in the router.

Move the node to a farther location. How far apart are the APs now?

Move the client to a new location.

OE

ASUS have an absolutely terrible track record with firmware for this router ... and, AFAICT from reading these forums, for all their consumer routers. If the two-releases-back F/W version worked reliably for you, probably the thing to do is revert to that until they come out with one that works better for you.

If you've had it with their inability to program their way out of a paper bag, jumping ship is a good idea, but I'd bet against you being a whole lot happier with a different ASUS model. Time to look for another manufacturer with a better software team. Or maybe you could try Merlin's F/W releases.
I do like the sw capability that is built into Asus routers. Previously I was using a RT-AC87U that was rock solid and worked well for years. When I decided to replace it last year I read some really good reviews of the XT8. I almost returned it in the first month but then Asus released a couple of FW updates that did solve the issues I was having and it seemed to run well. Honestly I just don’t think I need a 2 node mesh system. My WiFi coverage was decent, but not great, with the RT-AC87U and I haven’t really seen a huge improvement in WiFi coverage with the 2 node XT8 setup. Which leads me to believe that I would be just fine with a single RT-AX86U and it would be a simpler setup. The more I think about the more I think that is the way I’ll go.

A couple ideas, one at a time...

Turn OFF Roaming Assistant in the router.

Move the node to a farther location. How far apart are the APs now?

Move the client to a new location.

OE
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have roaming off. The node is about as far away from the router as I can get it. About 50 feet and 1 floor up. The client can’t be moved. It’s a weather station display that also acts as the WiFi internet connection for the weather data.
The XT8 has been oddly problematic since I installed it and I’ve had to fiddle with it much more than I want to. The more I have thought about it the more I think I’ll just move to the RT-AX86U to simplify things. Hopefully it will be more stable.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have roaming off. The node is about as far away from the router as I can get it. About 50 feet and 1 floor up. The client can’t be moved. It’s a weather station display that also acts as the WiFi internet connection for the weather data.
The XT8 has been oddly problematic since I installed it and I’ve had to fiddle with it much more than I want to. The more I have thought about it the more I think I’ll just move to the RT-AX86U to simplify things. Hopefully it will be more stable.

Two 2.4GHz signals (2.4 travels far) from APs 50 feet apart (a point source from a far location) may be confusing this one client in its current location (halfway between the APs?). Nevermind what worked before... things can change with firmware updates and with ambient radio affects... beware EMI from other devices nearby.

I would undo any forced settings/binding you've done and test the client connection stability in a different location. I would also move the APs a bit about to test... a small change can matter.

If you've never reset the current firmware to its defaults and configured from scratch, that would be advisable before too much troubleshooting to preclude some oddness remaining from previous firmware.

Reset FAQ
Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE (fw defaults)
Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition (fw defaults+clear logs)

The AX86U Pro is arriving soon as discussed elsewhere here.

OE

Two 2.4GHz signals (2.4 travels far) from APs 50 feet apart (a point source from a far location) may be confusing this one client in its current location (halfway between the APs?). Nevermind what worked before... things can change with firmware updates and with ambient radio affects... beware EMI from other devices nearby.

I would undo any forced settings/binding you've done and test the client connection stability in a different location. I would also move the APs a bit about to test... a small change can matter.

If you've never reset the current firmware to its defaults and configured from scratch, that would be advisable before too much troubleshooting to preclude some oddness remaining from previous firmware.

Reset FAQ
Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE (fw defaults)
Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition (fw defaults+clear logs)

The AX86U Pro is arriving soon as discussed elsewhere here.

OE
Thanks again for all the suggestions. My plan at this point is to go with a RT-AX86U and test it to see if will be enough for my requirements and if it’s more stable than the 2 node XT8 setup I have now. My house is only around 2800 sq ft and has no internal brick or stone walls (it’s relatively new as we built it in 2008). The key for me is outside. We have lots of patios and a large fire pit/party area in the back . The problem is we live in the woods with lots of trees which play hell with WiFi. I’ll see how it goes before I sell off any of the XT8 nodes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!