What's new

Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SOEJSU

New Around Here
Hi,

I use a Asus/Merlin AC86U with a NordVPN vpn. Everytime when I set the DNS Server of NordVPN:

my connection disconnect and I get this status "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly. " on the Network Map page. When I use Google DNS Server (8.8.8.8;8.8.4.4) I don't get any problems. I've tried many DNS servers, but i get everytime the same problem. When I use NordVPN Software on my computer I receive the DNS automatically of them. I should mention I live in a country where VPN is restricted. Does someone know a solution? I've tried also ExpressVPN and Perfect-Privacy. Both of them are blocked by my ISP, only NordVPN going through - all providers offers a StealthVPN feature which hide their service, but as I know I can't use it on my router, but on my computer.

I would appreciate any help - thank you in advance!

Hi,

I use a Asus/Merlin AC86U with a NordVPN vpn. Everytime when I set the DNS Server of NordVPN:

my connection disconnect and I get this status "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly. " on the Network Map page. When I use Google DNS Server (8.8.8.8;8.8.4.4) I don't get any problems. I've tried many DNS servers, but i get everytime the same problem. When I use NordVPN Software on my computer I receive the DNS automatically of them. I should mention I live in a country where VPN is restricted. Does someone know a solution? I've tried also ExpressVPN and Perfect-Privacy. Both of them are blocked by my ISP, only NordVPN going through - all providers offers a StealthVPN feature which hide their service, but as I know I can't use it on my router, but on my computer.

I would appreciate any help - thank you in advance!
What makes you think you can't configure NordVPN on your router? What firmware do you have?

Edit: I see you have the same model as myself (which I am also running NordVPN) on the router and through the clients themselves using their software if needed.

I assume you're referring to the WAN DNS setting option on the WAN page.

When using OpenVPN, you don't normally want to set your own DNS servers over the WAN to the OpenVPN provider's DNS servers. There's no guarantee those DNS servers are available publicly. They might only be available over the tunnel. Not unless the OpenVPN provider specifically tells you to do so (I know in some cases that's true, just don't know about NordVPN, I don't use them). That's why your typical OpenVPN provider pushes DNS to your OpenVPN client, where the router reconfigures your local DNS server (DNSMasq) to use those DNS servers. If and how that's done is determined by the "Accept DNS Configuration" option in the OpenVPN client GUI.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!