What's new

ZenWifi XT8 AX Access Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am having similar issues random issues to original post..but somewhat different on the XT8. Let me try and explain. (btw my house is IoT enabled big time..)

I have reboot scheduled for 3 am ET everyday. I d0 this out of best practices I found to clear memory..yadda yadda. Upon restart I have/had a mixed bag of issues.
1. 2 out of 3 Ecobee would not reconnect. Found a forum post how to fix. Resolved.
2. OnePlus phones would have wifi disconnect issues periodically and would not reconnect until restarted or disable/enable wifi repeatedly.
3. Biggest issue that is still causing me grief. The hardwired (cat 6e) satelitte would not reconnect. I have a fast flashing blue light on it and anything physically attached would not connect to network. I would have to restart it manually. Wifi seemed to work fine. However, I suspect most devices were simply connecting to the base.

Other:
4. Random reconnects to wrong access point. On reboot, some devices seem to connect to lower strength signal. Some not at all..seems to have stabilzed after upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386_25224-g3c383a4
5. I disabled AIProtect. Something clearly goes off the rails periodically during evening peak period. Entire network would freeze momentarily it seems. Complaints from the entire home mgt team...

Number 3 still persists. I was going to try and reach out to Asus today. I do not understand why the satellite that is hard connected will not reconnect.

Overall, I am very happy with speed, options, signal compared to my old ORBI. But, these intermittent issues need to stop.

A lot of these issues sound familiar to me - I have a love/hate relationship with the XT8 since I got it.
I love what it promises, but I hate that sometimes the 5ghz network will work but the 2.4ghx will stop working, or the opposite way around.
IP cameras don't seem to like it unless I degrade the 2.4ghxz network to bare minimum settings, even then after a few days they may or may not connect (until I reboot the Router).

Most of all I hate that my wife complains the WiFi is worse since I 'upgraded'. Strangely my work laptop that has WiFi 6 capability never seems to have any issues while pretty much every other device does.
I have factory reset 2-3 times .. any gains are short lived, 3-4 days max.

Anyway .. I have been checking every day for firmware updates - today a new one appeared: 3.0.0.4.386_25509
There's no release notes and it's not on the Asus website yet, however I updated anyway.. not much to lose.

I'll be watching closely to see what happens the next few days. But already I noticed something:
Speed tests on the 2.4ghz wifi have bounced up to 30-40mbps ... until now they were very bad, usually fluctuating between 8-25mbps while 5ghz was always smoothly running at 54mbps (the max speed of my broadband, so this is the max for the speedtest). Definitely seemed like a firmware issue, as my old Asus router was way quicker even on 2.4ghz - I'm hoping this FW will improve things a bit :eek:

ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.25509
- Improved connection stability.
- Fixed node 2.5G port connection issues.
- Adaptive QoS supported more apps
Work-From-Home: WeChat Work®, RescueAssist, Tencent/VooV Meeting® Learn-From-Home: LinkedIn Learning®, Binkist®, Skillshare®, edX®
Media Streaming: SiriusXM®, Bilibili®
Indoor training: The Sufferfest®, Bkool Fitness®, TrainerRoad®, Rouvy®

Work-From-Home: WeChat Work[emoji2400], RescueAssist, Tencent/VooV Meeting[emoji2400] Learn-From-Home: LinkedIn Learning[emoji2400], Binkist[emoji2400], Skillshare[emoji2400], edX[emoji2400]
Media Streaming: SiriusXM[emoji2400], Bilibili[emoji2400]
Indoor training: The Sufferfest[emoji2400], Bkool Fitness[emoji2400], TrainerRoad[emoji2400], Rouvy[emoji2400]
I've been having issues with SiriusXM streaming on my Apple TV 4K. Mostly just the Pandora created stations. Sync may stop with or without a something went wrong notification. Pandora stations may just stop after song or only play one song and stop. Pandora and SiriusXM aren't truly integrated but the Apple TV SiriusXM app can create and play Pandora stations, even search existing Pandora station and add them. Pretty cool to avoid the radio chatter if songs are preferred without interruption.

I had many of the same issues with my last router. And I even thought that replacing my router with the XT8 solved the issues. They came back. I replaced my Docsis 3.0 modem with Docsis 3.1 I thought that was the upgrade I needed because it seemed to have made an instant impact to the days of SiriusXM issues I was having at that moment.

But days later the issues started again. Seems nothing I've done had actually fixed anything. Maybe it's app, ISP or device related.

But this mention in the update gives me hope. Maybe Asus found something? Sure try the update later if it hasn't already updated. Homeschooling going on right now, so I won't even look until later. I really want SiriusXM Pandora stations to work but maybe it's also a work in progress. There's also been the same 2 Pandora song titles I've found that stream with mostly static noise. Pandora support didn't even want to look at this; refer to SiriusXM support is what they said.

Thanks for update notification and notes guys.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Work-From-Home: WeChat Work®, RescueAssist, Tencent/VooV Meeting® Learn-From-Home: LinkedIn Learning®, Binkist®, Skillshare®, edX®
Media Streaming: SiriusXM®, Bilibili®
Indoor training: The Sufferfest®, Bkool Fitness®, TrainerRoad®, Rouvy®

Interesting to see if this resolves the issues. After a terrible week including the main router also having issues during important WFH time I had decided to switch back to my old kit this weekend and then get something older and more stable such as Eero Pro. Quite frankly at this point I’m more interested in stability and consistency than speed and customisation. I am wondering if I invest the effort to give this firmware a go, or I just write off this ASUs kit as I don’t have faith in the reliability going forwards.

So, I used the submission within the dashboard to highlight some of the issues I raised earlier. Out of the blue today, I received an email from an Asus contact with a beta link. There is no original message, no ticketing attachment. It's a message from an agent with a link to a beta version on the asus webstorage.

Is this legit? RT-AX95Q_9.0.0.4_386_25513-gf0e2895_cferom_pureubi.w

Was there any information in the email that contained the link at all?
can you post the link? i'd be interested in trying some beta firmware out if this newest firmware isn't taking care of the issues that are affecting me most.

Was there any information in the email that contained the link at all?
can you post the link? i'd be interested in trying some beta firmware out if this newest firmware isn't taking care of the issues that are affecting me most.

Hey TB, I posted that prior to seeing there is indeed a new 3.x build out. I have no idea why Asus sent me this random link and was questioning even if legit. The link is to a private (it seems) asuswebstorage download area. Honestly, just seemed weird on timing and type of msg. I will try to PM you to see if accessible.

I too have come over from the Netgear Orbi's which became almost unusable with the last few firmware update they provided. I do have a few questions:

1. How is everyone accessing 160Mhz? That doesn't seem to be available for me no matter which channel I select.
2. Is it better to isolate the 2.4Ghz band to 20Mhz? What about the 5Ghz bands? Should I be specifying 40Mhz or 80Mhz?
3. DFS Channels enabled?

Over the past week I have been experiencing major disconnect issues with the node. It kept disconnecting from the router despite a wired ethernet backhaul. The light on the node would start blinking blue really fast and I would have to power cycle it. I upgraded the firmware yesterday, did a factory reset and so far so good (fingers crossed).

I have also separated the 2.4Ghz and 5-1Ghz bands as I find my IoT devices play nicer on the 2.4Ghz band.

I too have come over from the Netgear Orbi's which became almost unusable with the last few firmware update they provided. I do have a few questions:

1. How is everyone accessing 160Mhz? That doesn't seem to be available for me no matter which channel I select.
2. Is it better to isolate the 2.4Ghz band to 20Mhz? What about the 5Ghz bands? Should I be specifying 40Mhz or 80Mhz?
3. DFS Channels enabled?

Over the past week I have been experiencing major disconnect issues with the node. It kept disconnecting from the router despite a wired ethernet backhaul. The light on the node would start blinking blue really fast and I would have to power cycle it. I upgraded the firmware yesterday, did a factory reset and so far so good (fingers crossed).

I have also separated the 2.4Ghz and 5-1Ghz bands as I find my IoT devices play nicer on the 2.4Ghz band.

With all the issues, I will stick with ASUS over my ORBI as mentioned. I continue to get double the speed on mobile to ORBI and at least upgrades don't requires 3 hours of resets to work. :D

I have some similar questions on best practices and trying to segregate my looser-errors (not proficient enough) from legitimate problems. One thing I did find recently which I never realized with ORBI was that my neighbor is destroying me on channel 4 with his netgear. I moved to channel 11 which seemed better. I was playing with Network Analyzer and waiting to see if any more stability on 2.4 range. Like you, I have piles of IoT devices and some of which operate primarily or only on 2.4. I am still learning..

With all the issues, I will stick with ASUS over my ORBI as mentioned. I continue to get double the speed on mobile to ORBI and at least upgrades don't requires 3 hours of resets to work. :D

I have some similar questions on best practices and trying to segregate my looser-errors (not proficient enough) from legitimate problems. One thing I did find recently which I never realized with ORBI was that my neighbor is destroying me on channel 4 with his netgear. I moved to channel 11 which seemed better. I was playing with Network Analyzer and waiting to see if any more stability on 2.4 range. Like you, I have piles of IoT devices and some of which operate primarily or only on 2.4. I am still learning..
I've been using similar tools. I use Netspot which allows me to see all of my neighbours routers, what channels they are on, signal strength etc. I found Channel 11 best for 2.4Ghz, far less congestion there. I've set 5Ghz-1 channel at 36. Now that I have the least congested channels, just trying to figure out the optimal settings in terms of 20/40/80 for each of the bands etc. Also not sure what DFS Channels do and how I access 160Mhz and which devices even support it.

Lots for me to learn but what I will say is the Asus GUI is far superior to the Orbi.

I have not tried the beta I received as of yet. However, I will say the 3.0x is still no improvement that I can tell. In fact, I had nothing but problems the first 2 days with my OnePlus 8 dropping wifi regularly and I have a complete down situation at midnight 2 days after deploying which was not ISP related that I could tell.

I have not tried the beta I received as of yet. However, I will say the 3.0x is still no improvement that I can tell. In fact, I had nothing but problems the first 2 days with my OnePlus 8 dropping wifi regularly and I have a complete down situation at midnight 2 days after deploying which was not ISP related that I could tell.

I’ve been dealing with Asus for a long time not just on the XT8 but a couple of other routers. I agree the XT8 is a work in progress, but the beta they sent is legit, they’ve done the same with me in the past. If you’re not going to try it could you PM it to me so I can try it? Better yet post it so other people can give it a try and see if we can’t move this forward to something workable for everyone. There are other issues no one is mentioning here that need attention.

I’ve been dealing with Asus for a long time not just on the XT8 but a couple of other routers. I agree the XT8 is a work in progress, but the beta they sent is legit, they’ve done the same with me in the past. If you’re not going to try it could you PM it to me so I can try it? Better yet post it so other people can give it a try and see if we can’t move this forward to something workable for everyone. There are other issues no one is mentioning here that need attention.

Link is still up. Would appreciate what your thoughts are as the 3.x is still randomly disconnecting phones and other devices.

https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/a/#/s/70CA2DBAB1D84E948B67D15C6F7DB7134

I’ve checked a couple of times and it’s not showing up so far, strange. What firmware were you on before?
I was on 25509 before and was actually just about to install the 25513 when I saw the post about 25524. I'm up and running now on 25524. there is a thread dedicated to it. we'll see how it holds up now.

I’ve checked a couple of times and it’s not showing up so far, strange. What firmware were you on before?

I’m not seeing it on mine either. But on 25513 I’m getting such solid performance as it stands now. Consistently getting 650mbps on Speedtest and fast.com. Super smooth roaming between 5 nodes. No drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’m not seeing it on mine either. But on 25513 I’m getting such solid performance as it stands now. Consistently getting 650mbps on Speedtest and fast.com. Super smooth roaming between 5 nodes. No drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we don’t see it is because we’re using 25513, which is a beta and pretty close to the new build 25524. I’m getting some strange issues now where certain iOS devices aren’t connecting to the closest node, or don’t see it at all. I’m going to revert back to 25509 and see if the router sees the update then and download it. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!