What's new

Release Zenwifi XT8 Firmware 3.0.0.4.386_43170

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry for the bit "out of topic". I've discussed with Amazon about the return and I'm thinking about moving to netgear orbi given the recent issue I have with XT8. Is it worth the almost double price?
IMHO, no...
The web interface is soooo semplified... you cannot even disable the smartconnect option! (the only way is with a telnet script)

did you controlled if there is a radar interference?!
Signal strength is constant with no interference. Even the nearby microwave, when in use, has minimal impact on signal strength/quality. Regardless, the drops are firmware specific in everything post 25790 firmware as the signal strength/quality are constant even when I was using the latest firmware.

Sorry for the bit "out of topic". I've discussed with Amazon about the return and I'm thinking about moving to netgear orbi given the recent issue I have with XT8. Is it worth the almost double price?
Not really off topic in my opinion considering all the firmware problems with Asus routers. While I can't comment on spending twice the money on Orbi, I will say I'm thinking of getting rid of my Asus mesh system as their firmware updates appear to be untested and highly unreliable. Since the only stable firmware for me is from September of 2020, I'm missing out on numerous security fixes and that doesn't sit well with me. I've owned Asus wireless routers for over a decade, and I feel they've gone downhill really fast. If I could return my two XT8s and get my money back, I would gladly spend more on a different mesh system if it were reliable.

Is your node perhaps too distant from the main router?! With 42095 I've absolutely no a single drop with four XT8! (with 43169 I found some ping lost and at least one mesh reconnection)

This is my situation, with the power of the signal between the nodes...

edit ps: perhaps a radar interference?
How to turn it on ? I don't have it on android.

1621174026491.png

Please post your experience here.

ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.43170
- Fixed USB HDD throughput degraded issue.

Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_43169
- Release Note -

Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
1. Fixed CVE-2021-3450, CVE2021-3449 OpenSSL related vulnerability.
2. Fixed authentication bypass vulnerability. Special thank Chris Bellows, Darren Kemp – Atredis Partners contribution.
3. Fixed PPTP and OpenVPN server username/password GUI bug.
4. Fixed high CPU utilization issue.
5. Upgraded dropbear to version 2020.81
6. Fixed slowloris denial of service attack.

My Amazon Echo, Honeywell Thermostats and Withings Body+ scale could no longer connect to the network after applying 3.0.0.4.386.43169 and then 3.0.0.4.386.43170. I contacted the support and after some back and forth was told to downgrade to 3.0.0.4.386.42095. Anybody else experiencing similar issues?

My Amazon Echo, Honeywell Thermostats and Withings Body+ scale could no longer connect to the network after applying 3.0.0.4.386.43169 and then 3.0.0.4.386.43170. I contacted the support and after some back and forth was told to downgrade to 3.0.0.4.386.42095. Anybody else experiencing similar issues?
Had to downgrade as well to 3.0.0.4.386.42095 for both an issue of clients no longer able to connect, connect to the wrong node, and irregular disconnects. Seems to have been solved with going back to the 42095 FW, although this morning I was experiencing package loss for about 10 seconds while in a TEAMS call. Now running a constant trace on multiple machines connected to different XT8 nodes connected in a mix of 2.4 and 5 GHz to see if this is client related.. Could be a VPN / Cisco secure client issue on my business laptop only.

Had to downgrade as well to 3.0.0.4.386.42095 for both an issue of clients no longer able to connect, connect to the wrong node, and irregular disconnects. Seems to have been solved with going back to the 42095 FW, although this morning I was experiencing package loss for about 10 seconds while in a TEAMS call. Now running a constant trace on multiple machines connected to different XT8 nodes connected in a mix of 2.4 and 5 GHz to see if this is client related.. Could be a VPN / Cisco secure client issue on my business laptop only.
Do you see the blue led flashing on the node when losing packets?

Had a similar problem where my Carrier Infinity Touch thermostat wouldn't work with either 3.0.0.4.386.43169 or 3.0.0.4.386.43170. Thermostat showed it was connected to local WiFi, but said it couldn't connect to Carrier.

Downgraded to 42095 and all is well again.

Dowgraded to 42095 but again a few disconnects today. Anyone familiar with the log message "acsd: eth5 received event: tx pkt delay suddently jump"? I experienced the disconnections at around the same time this message is in the log.

How do I downgrade the firmware for XT8?
Just download the FW version you want to use from the drivers/bios page of ASUS for your device. In this case the XT8 https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT...i-Systems/ASUS-ZenWiFi-AX-XT8-/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Unzip the downloaded FW file
Log-on via the web-interface into your router using the routers IP address
In the web interface choose menu "Administration>[tab]Firmware Upgrade"
You can manually upload the unzipped FW file for each of the devices you want to downgrade

I recently bought a AX55 to set it as bridge to my XT8, and have seen that in the list of firmwares they are half size now too, as has happended with XT8:

So, perhaps it is any sort of optimization in offcial firms :rolleyes:

I recently bought a AX55 to set it as bridge to my XT8, and have seen that in the list of firmwares they are half size now too, as has happended with XT8:

So, perhaps it is any sort of optimization in offcial firms :rolleyes:
Interesting. I’m all for optimization if the end result works. Maybe this is the first step in clearing up the repeated firmware missteps (?)

Bios .43170 very unstable for me. Alot of connection drop outs for a few seconds after every half an hour. Reverted to and Using bios .42095. Right now 2 days with no issues. Initially had a lot of problems with the node, total connection loss, after hard reset managed to recover the node. When it is working I like the XT8 alot, super fast lan and internet speeds and formidable signal, my first mesh routers with 2 units. Quite dissapointed about the bios issues, especially for such an expensive hardware. I upgraded from powerline and now I get always full internet speed from isp. With the powerline it was 5x times slower. Even faster with lan speeds and no problems with saturation due to limited bandwidth.

Successfully installed .43170 using the vanilla upgrade functionality through the iOS app. So far so good, running stable for a day now, with a family working from home, including constant Teams meetings. Standard topology with two XT8, 250/250 fiber connection, wireless 5G backhaul, 30 odd devices with a mix of legacy 2,4G 11n and 5G 11AC devices.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!