What's new

[Alpha] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.1 Alpha

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
171 commits later, I feel that the 382.1 Alpha code is finally in a usable enough state to provide preview builds for the new RT-AC86U. Note that this isn't as well tested as the usual alpha releases I provide, since I'm not using the RT-AC86U as my primary router yet (too much development work to be done on it).

Make sure you read the included Changelog, for an overview of what changed between Asuswrt-Merlin 380.68 and 382.1, as well as to what was changed from Asus's 382_xxxx code to Asuswrt-Merlin 382.

At this time, only the RT-AC86U is supported. Development hasn't begun yet on any other models, so there is no ETA at all regarding support for other models.

This is still at the alpha stage, so expect a lot of things to still change between now and the first beta release.

For more background on this release, I recommend checking this thread.

Downloads are available in the Test Builds folder.

The Asuswrt-Merlin 382.xxx code is in a new, separate Github repository. The toolchain is also in its own repository.

Doubt there are more then a person or two that even have that router as of yet. Hope i am wrong anything to get you closer to supporting the other models. ;)

Last edited:
Running alpha on mine now. NO crashes yet ;)
So far the vpn seems a bit problematic. I can not get policy rules to work. (redirect all/no works). Possibly just inexperience on my part.
Thanks for putting in the effort @RMerlin. Glad to see you decided to support this model.

171 commits later, I feel that the 382.1 Alpha code is finally in a usable enough state to provide preview builds for the new RT-AC86U. Note that this isn't as well tested as the usual alpha releases I provide, since I'm not using the RT-AC86U as my primary router yet (too much development work to be done on it).

Make sure you read the included Changelog, for an overview of what changed between Asuswrt-Merlin 380.68 and 382.1, as well as to what was changed from Asus's 382_xxxx code to Asuswrt-Merlin 382.

At this time, only the RT-AC86U is supported. Development hasn't begun yet on any other models, so there is no ETA at all regarding support for other models.

This is still at the alpha stage, so expect a lot of things to still change between now and the first beta release.

The Asuswrt-Merlin 382.xxx code is in a new, separate Github repository. The toolchain is also in its own repository.

Just a question, maybe asked already and I missed it, if so, sorry. Are you anticipating further updates (on your part and/or ASUS) to the 380 codebase for older models? In other words might we see a 380.69 or higher for older models? Not complaining or anything, regardless of your answer, just curious about direction. Sounds like 382 is so different that if so you'll end up effectively supporting two separate codebases until 382 is released for all models.

Do I understand correctly that you're at ASUS' mercy for the 382 codebase for any given model?

Am considering getting one of these in replacement of my AC68U in AP mode. In your opinion is there going to be much advantage to replacing it? What are you thoughts?

When using Cipher Negotiation drop down options “Enable (with fallback)” or “Enable” the “Negotiable ciphers” use to have default values but is now blank.

I’m also not seeing the OpenVPN policy routing working. And in an attempt to see if a reboot would help, the reboot erased my custom line items in Custom Configuration.

I won't be rushing out to buy the RT-AC86U. Not until my current router enters Valhalla.

Am considering getting one of these in replacement of my AC68U in AP mode. In your opinion is there going to be much advantage to replacing it? What are you thoughts?

You won't see much difference for an AP.

Just a question, maybe asked already and I missed it, if so, sorry. Are you anticipating further updates (on your part and/or ASUS) to the 380 codebase for older models?

Asus is going to gradually move those routers to the 382 code base over the coming months, the RT-AC88U being the first one to be migrated. They don't have any timetable for the other models,but I assume it means there won't be any further 380 release for these.

Regarding my personal plans, this is detailed in this post.

Do I understand correctly that you're at ASUS' mercy for the 382 codebase for any given model?

Like with any other release. Many components are closed source, which means I need a new official release for any model I wish to support. I can't run newer code without a corresponding GPL release. This has already been the case for over a year now.

When using Cipher Negotiation drop down options “Enable (with fallback)” or “Enable” the “Negotiable ciphers” use to have default values but is now blank.

Fixed - the default value was only set for servers, but not for clients (default was an empty list).

Use "AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM:AES-256-CBC:AES-128-CBC" for this router (I switched order due to the beefier performance of the RT-AC86U).

I’m also not seeing the OpenVPN policy routing working.

Fixed - Broadcom's new iproute2 package was looking in the wrong location for config files.

And in an attempt to see if a reboot would help, the reboot erased my custom line items in Custom Configuration.

Can't reproduce, make sure you did click on "apply" after changing it.

Can't reproduce, make sure you did click on "apply" after changing it.[/QUOTE]

I can reproduce this aswell. Some of the config dissappeared with out reboot. (might have been when configuring a second vpn clint but I have not confirmed this)

Hello, I received my 86u. I installed the alpha on it.

Im having a problem with download speed on the 5ghz network. with the same computer that i used with my 68u using wifi im getting just 10 Mb/s instead of 200Mb/s i was getting with the 68u. can anybody help me?

EDIT

ok. problem solved im using now the 68u as bridge. im getting 300 Mb/s now.

Last edited:
Asus is going to gradually move those routers to the 382 code base over the coming months, the RT-AC88U being the first one to be migrated. They don't have any timetable for the other models,but I assume it means there won't be any further 380 release for these.

Regarding my personal plans, this is detailed in this post.

At that point, development time will be split between AM382 (AC88, AC3100 and AC86) and AM380 (all existing models). Once the majority of models have been migrated to AM382, development on AM380 will gradually slow down, until all development is made only on AM382.

Right, I missed that paragraph somehow, sorry. Thanks for your patience with us users and all your hard work!

You won't see much difference for an AP.

Thanks, I ended up getting one in my hands. I noticed that you no longer have a feature to control the TX power and the memory utilization for AP is at 50% is that normal to be that high when it have little configurations?

Thanks, I ended up getting one in my hands. I noticed that you no longer have a feature to control the TX power and the memory utilization for AP is at 50% is that normal to be that high when it have little configurations?
Memory not being used is being wasted. :) The more stuff (DNS entries, etc.) the router can cache, the faster your apparent speed will be. Aggressive clearing of memory is not necessarily a good thing.

the memory utilization for AP is at 50% is that normal to be that high when it have little configurations

Broadcom's new SDK has a lot of new components. Broadcom reserves 15% of total RAM for use for its various components (as a memory pool), so that leaves only 440 MB available out of 512 MB at boot time. After that, memory gets used by all the various services that are running.

This is normal.

Broadcom's new SDK has a lot of new components. Broadcom reserves 15% of total RAM for use for its various components (as a memory pool), so that leaves only 440 MB available out of 512 MB at boot time. After that, memory gets used by all the various services that are running.

This is normal.

Thanks RMerlin, do you know if the TX power adjustment is a feature that is no longer available. I don't see it.

I won't be rushing out to buy the RT-AC86U. Not until my current router enters Valhalla.

The AC86U doesn't look like an upgrade to the AC3100 if you ask me more of a side grade so I don't blame you for staying put.

I would wait to see something alittle higher end.

Status
Not open for further replies.